Author Topic: 7 M old upset by PU/PD- shush pat works but not decreasing night wakings?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My 7 mo old baby has always been a great napper and goes down for bedtime independently- however I'm still struggling with some lingering night wakings.  Wondering if anyone has had experience with this?

I'll start with some basic info- healthy baby, EBF, is doing well with purees twice a day, takes bottles of breastmilk fine, goes to sleep independently, uses a paci but not reliant on it.  Here's a sample of our schedule.

630/7 WU
7: E (breastmilk)
8: E (purees)
9:30-11: S
11: E (breastmilk)
2-330/4: S (*sometimes I breastfeed him 2-4 mins before his nap to top him off)
4:30: eat (breastmilk)
5:30: E (purees)
7:00: bathtime/bedtime/E (bottle usually 5oz)
7:30: S

A couple notes:  the past week, he's been SUPER distracted during daytime feeds- I can hardly get him to stay latched for more than a few minutes.  That being said, I sometimes feed him a little before that second nap. I know that feeding him in a quiet dimly lit place ensures better feeding but during the day, with a busy toddler and running around with life, that isn't always possible!

I also think he might eat more with bottles- I'm wondering if I should just try pumping bottles during the day to see if this makes a difference..

OK, so now the questions re: night wakings.

Before I started my attempt at PU/PD, his NW would look like this:
11ish / 2:30ish / up for the day 630/7

Now...
NW #1:  He almost always wakes around 3 hrs after bedtime.  Like clockwork.  I used to feed him during this waking, because in general he's super easy when he wakes at night if you're feeding him- I go in, feed, and he goes right back down.  However, I really feel strongly that he doesn't *need* this feed for nutrients' sake.  So this week I decided this would be the first to go.  When he woke, I went in with the intention of doing PU/PD.  (this is the approach I used with my daughter).  When I picked him up (and the SAME thing happened for my husband the following night), he *freaked* out, his crying got insane, and he was incosolable.  I waited and waited for him to calm down so I could do the PD, but it took forever and he wasn't 100% super calm by the time I put him down, but he settled way better with just patting his back (he's a tummy sleeper).  So I finally got him settled, he went back to sleep, and I left. 

NW#2: I told myself that I would feed him after a 5 hr stretch, so the next time he woke, it was 1230, so I fed him and he went back down. 

NW#3: Now he had been doing his second wu around 230, and was then stretching till WU for the day.  But now, he's waking up between 4-5 and I'm not sure how to approach this one-  I know he's in lighter sleep so I feel like *this would be the time to feed him (and I have been feeding him this time the past 2 days)...

So my questions are:
1)  Should I continue to shush/pat (minus the shush) and just hope he eventually starts dropping this first WU?
2) Should I shush/pat through the second WU as well? And just feed around 4/5?

Last night was sort of brutal.  Went to bed fine at 715.  Up at 940 (DH shush/pat), 11, 1130, 12:30, 5 (I fed at 12:30 and 5 only).

Thanks for the help!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
I'd just feed him. It's perfectly normal for a 7mo to need 2 or 3 night feeds at this age especially if he's only having 4 daytime feeds. The fact he kept waking until he was fed then did a long stretch last night suggests he's hungry. IMO he will drop the night feeds himself when he's ready. If he doesnt then maybe look at night weaning again when he's older (eg at least 12mo). He was doing really well having just 2 night feeds. Breast milk should be his main source of nutrition until 12mo when solids start to take over.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011