Author Topic: Nearly 3 year old wake ups  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Nearly 3 year old wake ups
« on: April 09, 2018, 19:36:33 pm »
Can anyone shed some thoughts?

My LG is three in June. Has been an ok sleeper since birth. She self settles with a dummy.

Routine is 7am wake up, 7pm bed time ( normally asleep 7.10 ish)

She keeps waking up once during the night and won’t self settle and I’m having to go in. It’s usualy an hour or so after going to sleep. Once you go in, she goes back to sleep. It’s really frustrating.

She has a gro clock, dummy, same bedtime routine etc so I don’t know what it is.

I am wondering if I should push bedtime back a bit? Or if it is sep anxiety?

Thanks

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 19:44:35 pm »
Is she upset?
Could be night terrors as these tend to happen fairly soon after falling asleep.

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Nearly 3 year old wake ups
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 20:14:00 pm »
She’s crying but awake. She’s ok when you go in and settle her with sleepy time words. I thought night terrors but don’t think she’s as upset as things I’ve read about them. Maybe bad dreams?

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 19:36:40 pm »
Tonight has been

7pm bed and asleep instantly
7.30pm crying, wouldn’t self settle
8.30pm crying, wouldn’t self settle!

It’s so frustrating! 😡

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 12:35:47 pm »
Does she still nap?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:04:10 am »
Do you think she could be a little OT before BT?  Maybe moving BT 15 min earlier might help?

For what it's worth though mine had a really long period of waking in the early evening and needing me to go in at least once. It didn't appear to be nightmares or night terrors...eventually I called them "anxiety dreams" as he could sometimes shout out about something that had happened in the day.  he would settle very quickly if I just went in so I did, pretty much every night. The sort of things he had anxiety over I couldn't "fix" or take away, they were not things we would consider stressful or negative but he was having vivid dreams and being upset about them.  Things like needing a spanner, or being upset because he put a finished apple core in the bin, or he would be counting backwards or shouting out letters or spellings - there were no monsters.  Eventually he didn't need me to go in to him any more (or very rarely rather than nightly), but even now at 7yo he will often mumble or say something or tut and sigh or talk about something a couple of hours after going to sleep, I can't usually make out what it's about but I am still pretty sure it's some sort of anxiety about his day even thoughhe's had a happy day and nothing bad has happened.  We had a longish period of it the last few months and I was sure it was linked to him learning his times tables (partly school work, partly his decision to learn all the tables instead of just the ones they do at school) and sure enough as soon as he "got" all his tables to 12x12 we suddenly had peaceful nights without any shouting, talking, huffing and puffing, crying or disturbance.
I think some kids are just like this, all children process their day and development in their dreams as part of the learning process but for some it is more vocal and more disturbing than for others.  It's the same for physical development too with my DS, swimming, riding bike etc not just the academic stuff.