Author Topic: 28 months and EW - drop the nap??  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Spamelina

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 14, 2018, 05:49:50 am »
I've not been on here for a while but got some great advice in the past so thought I would try again now that my 28 month old seems to have started waking ridiculously early again!  He's always been an early riser, and I've accepted that fact.. but recently it's edged earlier and earlier and is now 5am  :-(. 6 I can cope with.. but 5 is still nighttime in my book!  He's totally happy when he wakes up though and will chat away (loudly!) easily for an hour, but in the meantime it's woken the rest of the house up.. including my partner who gets up at 5.40 for work anyway, and sometimes my older son who has to go to school.  Is it time to try and drop the last daytime nap??  He normally has about 1hr - 1.30hr around the middle of the day, though when he's waking this early if we drive anywhere in the morning after about 9am it's a struggle to keep him awake in the car.  It seems early to drop to no naps.. but I know some kids do, and I can't see how he's overtired as he's waking up so happy? 

If so.. how do we do it?  Do I try and keep him awake all day after a 5am start?  Not sure that will be possible!!  His normal bedtime is about 7pm, and he's relatively easy to go to sleep.. if he naps late or for more than 1.5 hours then he'll take much longer to fall asleep then..  any advice please??!!  (Btw, his room is pitch black and the house is completely quiet so I know it's not noise or light waking him!)

Offline Spamelina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05:53:00 am »
Meant to add.. I know that the 1-0 nap transition is really hit and miss and can take a long time.. it's just we are going on holiday with friends and their son (who normally sleeps till 8am!) in about 4 weeks and I'm just dreading him waking at 5am every day and waking all of us (including another family!) up at that time!!

Offline Conniesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:58:19 am »
I truly wish I could help but I’m living it too I’m afraid. However my lo did sleep better in holiday than at home where we are waking early again 😳😔

Offline Spamelina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:40 am »
Yes, my only hope is that holiday makes it better!  Or it's just a phase that will pass before then.. 🤞🤞. My mantra.. it's just a phase!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 28 months and EW - drop the nap??
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 15:13:49 pm »
My DS2 is the same age and we have hit and miss days...some with nap some without.
Id worry about it after hols he may be shattered from all the excitement and maybe later nights or naps out and about.x
Zoe

Offline Spamelina

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 18:47:24 pm »
Yeh, i guess it can be all over the place at this age really..  today he ended up falling asleep in the car at about 9.45am for about 25 minutes.. then was a bit grumpy when I woke him up once we arrived.  He fell asleep again on the way home for 10 mins, but woke when I tried to transfer him to his cot (normally always works!) and he's been absolutely fine the rest of the day!  Got him to bed earlier at 6.30 though.. so let's see what the morning brings after only 35 mins of sleep and waking up at 5 this morning! 😬😬🙈

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 28 months and EW - drop the nap??
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 21:05:21 pm »
You never know could be great and all he needed!x
Zoe