Author Topic: How to get baby to fall asleep in cot instead of on me?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline KatieAlexis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to get baby to fall asleep in cot instead of on me?
« on: September 24, 2018, 22:01:29 pm »
Hi All,

I'm very much in need of some advice, please help! I'm in a lot of pain from back/neck from carrying my 6.5 mo daughter around until she drops to sleep and I am exhausted and at my wits end.

She used to drop off to sleep with shush-pat pretty well at night, but now she screams and screams when I lay her down and put her in her sleeping bag and won't stop no matter how much patting I do (in fact she has started getting really angry with me). I have tried PUPD but my back is killing me now and I just can't do it anymore. Also, she gets to the point where she screams so i pick her up, then she falls instantly to sleep (so I put down straight away) and then she screams (and it goes on and on for literally hours. Because of my back I have started just holding her until she stops screaming and goes to sleep, but however long I wait to put her down she somehow wakes and screams the second i start to lower her into cot, even if i keep my body really close to her. I've never left her side when she screams, so I really don't understand what is going on or how I fix this.

Not sure if it's relevant but she's also often not going down for her 3rd nap of the day now she's awake longer. Nap getting so late that if she doesn't drop off easily and screams for ages I just have to forget about that nap as it's often 530-6pm when I'm trying to get her to nap. Means she's often awake a really long time before bed (today 3hrs45mins). I try to feed her early and get her to bed early on the days she won't nap. The screaming before bed is the same, even if she's well-rested and not OT, so I wonder if the 3:2 transition I'm dealing with is a separate issue.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions!
Thanks

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: How to get baby to fall asleep in cot instead of on me?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:17:40 am »
Sounds to me like they are all connected. She’s not tired enough and that’s why she gets upset when you try put her down. Try shift her EASY so she’s getting more A time before naps and cap the third nap, at some point this will mean the third nap just gets ridiculously short and you have  to drop it or move her bed time later. This might fix the problem of her resisting naps but if not you can try the gentle removal plan to stop holding her or just stop doing it cold turkey and do shh/pat instead (whatever works best for you).
I totally feel you with the back issues! I totally messed up my back because DD1 would only fall asleep when I was rocking her standing up, uuggghh.
With DD2 I just did naps on a matrice on the floor because I just can’t bend over to do pupd.

Offline KatieAlexis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How to get baby to fall asleep in cot instead of on me?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 11:57:32 am »
Thanks for responding. Will keep trying and will try to read about "gentle removal". Will update you when I have something to share. Katie