Author Topic: So little sleeep...... can’t function up all hours .... HELP  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
So little sleeep...... can’t function up all hours .... HELP
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:47:20 am »
My son is 17 months and generally a good sleeper. We’ve had some
Ups and downs with sleep but it all worked out in the end. About 3 weeks ago, he was sick and really congested.so he was hard to settle at night
Time ( he’s always been hard to settle at night time and sometimes he can be up for over an hour if not longer. He’s always been the n the low end of sleep and transition to 1 nap around 10 months. Now he’s up all hours ! He has all is teeth and is now feeling well.
 Yesterday he woke at 7:30/7:45am
Breakfast 7:45
Snack 9
Nap 11:30/1:30pm
Snack at 3pm
Supper at 5:30
Snack 7:30
Bed at 7:45pm
Woke at 11::20-2:30am
Woke for the day at 8am

I ended up giving him Advil at night time as I figured it was something related to pain. He also seems to only want me and runs from dada. At night time it always me and if he goes in it only makes things worse. After awhile he will settle and be fine😬 it just seems one day he woke up and was like yeah I’m not sleeping, I don’t like dad ( he loves him) and started to hit.
I’m not sure if he is not getting enough sleep or too little. At daycare he typically naps only and hour sometimes maybe and hour 1:30 and for me on the weekends it at least 2 hours. 

Any suggestions?! These nights have been terrible! He just cries and cries even when I try to sooth him it’s difficult

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: So little sleeep...... can’t function up all hours .... HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:15:14 pm »
If he is crying so much when he wakes, I'm inclined to think he isn't feeling entirely well. You say he has all his teeth, but they do come in over several years, so it's possible he may have some coming in. Also worth getting his ears looked at; ear infections can be insidious things and don't always come with overt congestion or fevers.

When you give the Advil, does it help? Giving it a bit before bedtime so it has time to kick in might help.

Is he getting plenty of exercise during the day? Is he getting screen time in the later afternoons or evenings? The blue light from screens can disrupt sleep.

As for not wanting dada, things like that generally run in cycles; there will likely be a similar shift in the other direction at some point, where Dad's the flavor of the the day and you're left wondering if you did something to offend him.  :D

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 13:45:35 pm »
He has all of his teeth including eye teeth. I will try giving him Advil before bed again tonight and see how he makes out. Lots of exercise and outdoor when the weather is good. No screen time an hour before bed.  I’m stumped on this one ... is his nap too long I wonder?

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 23:55:46 pm »
I do t think he nap is too long but I do wonder if you need to push it later?  The second half of the day seems long so I wonder if you push nap to 12:30 if that will make any difference.  Worth trying :)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 00:28:31 am »
It all sounds to me like their could be ear pressure, thats exactly how my DS2 was but no other signs of ear infections.
Also my DS1 got worse on anything with Ibuprofen as it upset his tummy and I could only give him Paracetamol. It could also be 2yo Molars moving under the gums.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 01:15:40 am »
Well if he’s up to it again tonight, I’ll take him in to get his ears checked. I’m hoping for a better night! I gave him Tylenol and hour before and Advil just before bed with his snack. I’m really hoping he’s down for the night as this momma is exhausted.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 12:59:26 pm »
Had his ears checked and no ear infection. He is fighting a bit of a cold right now but nothing that would keep him awake I don’t think. He seems to wake and wants someone to come in where as before he would cry for maybe a min and settle and go back to bed. Now I go in and give him water and tell him to lay down which he does and than I sit in the chair beside the crib. So if he tries to get up than I ask him to lay back down until he goes to sleep. Sometimes it 5 mins... last night it was 3:40-4:50.. and he seems wide awake and than I had to wake him at 7:45. Any thoughts?

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 16:55:09 pm »
Did you try pushing his nap to later?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 18:55:28 pm »
My other thought is that it's developmental. My kids' sleep went wonky when they were about to do something momentous like roll over, stand, walk, put words together to make more complex sentences, finally say "yellow" (instead of "lellow" :D)...and it's not at all uncommon for this to happen near birthday and half-birthdays.