Author Topic: Is wiggling his bum* (instead of patting) a problem?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline airam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is wiggling his bum* (instead of patting) a problem?
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:23:33 pm »
Ive gotten him used to that and used it during nightwakings before. Now i need to sleep train and was wondering if i can do this. Hes almost 8 months.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:29:52 am by airam »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Is wiggling his. Um (instead of patting) a problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 19:12:29 pm »
Hi there, I'm not sure what it is you're wiggling (typo??) but it's likely fine and can be reduced just the same as patting is.

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Is wiggling his bum* (instead of patting) a problem?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:30:38 am »
Sorry, i didnt catch that. I meant wiggling is butt while i shh.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 20:09:29 pm »
Bum wiggling is fine :)  I used to jiggle wiggle my DS with a firm hand on his tummy or hip or nappy area to produce a very small but quite rapid jiggly movement, something like car movement.  I just reduced and did on/off like with patting.

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 20:57:17 pm »
Ok. Its helping...but as of the second night, hes waking up every hour now and sometimes  multiple times an hour. Im dying. I do this and its always the same even though he might settle and sleep. I canneven hear him sucking his fingers at times. I dont know what else to do. Its day six now and i havevto admit i nursed back to sleep a couple times even around 12/1am or earlier. All naps are just shhh/wiggled.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 19:21:24 pm »
Waking  multiple times within the hour sounds more like hunger than a sleep problem.  Maybe feed before trying to resettle?  It's normal for a BF baby to have more than one night feed and beyond this age too.

It takes time to sleep train so really it's still very early days.  If your LO has been helped for 8 months it is probably going to to take longer than 6 days to learn to self sooth...you'll get there though bit by bit :)

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 12:57:56 pm »
Youre right. Also, theres a tooth coming through. Poor baby.

Someone recommended that i start pumping in the day to allow him to get milk in his cup. Also, that i give him to someone else to sleep with from 9-2am to resettle him...then i come in after that and nurse. Do you think this is a good idea?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 08:07:31 am »
Someone recommended that i start pumping in the day to allow him to get milk in his cup
If you don't usually pump I'm not sure if this is something you'd want to start as it's extra work/time taken when you can just instead BF but it's totally your choice.

that i give him to someone else to sleep with from 9-2am to resettle him...then i come in after that and nurse. Do you think this is a good idea?
Even formula fed babies often still have a milk at night at this age, BF babies often need more than one because the milk is digested more easily so I probably wouldn't recommend night weaning yet.  Guidance is to BF on demand.

Offline airam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 07:49:56 am »
Yes but hes waking up somuch...im ok with two, even three feedings but i think hes so distracted in the day and hes also refusing solids (still). He eats maybe 50ml of puree and his handful of cut food.

I think ill head to the easy board becuse i need help with his feeding schedule.