Author Topic: 19.5 month old - routine change needed or ride it out?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Tilsley1471

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
19.5 month old - routine change needed or ride it out?
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:24:01 am »
for the past month or so my 19.5 month old has been resisting bedtime and naps. I put this down to the 18 month regression. In the past 2 weeks she will go to bed if we are in the room with our hand on her back or holding her hand or stroking her head. She was an independent sleeper previously. The last 2 nap times I have had her, we have made massive progress as she has settled herself to sleep within minutes with me out of the room but for bedtime this still isn't happening. It takes between 20 and 40 minutes and she cries if we leave or if we are standing there and not touching her. She is fine at nursery and also when Grandma has her. Her current routine is:

WU: Between 6.15 and 6.45am (used to be 7am before the regression started)
Nap: She goes down between 12.30 and 1 and we wake her at 2.30pm as I found when she was sleeping until 3pm, she was then taking an hour and a half to go to sleep which was nearer to 8.30pm but then waking still at her normal time and not having much sleep over night. She used to sleep about 12 hours prior to the regression over night and now it is more like 11 or 11.5 at the most.
BT: we have tried different bedtimes ranging from putting her down at 6.50 until 7.15 but whatever time we put her down she will take a minimum of 20 minutes to go to sleep.

I don't really know what else to try or if I just need to keep helping her through all this or if a routine change is needed?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 19.5 month old - routine change needed or ride it out?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:52:44 am »
SA kicks in a lot at 18months and it's pretty normal to want that extra reassurance at bedtime.
Generally speaking once they have a skill they have the skill, but when other needs step in its normal to struggle with that skill (think how much harder it is to go to sleep when you have things on your mind) developmentally/emotionally they are growing exponentially and so lots going on and they notice the world Isa big place and a bit of comfort to process it is good.
They also get to the point around 18 months that they want their Mummy cup filled regularly and being away at nursery etc has them needing 'their Mumma quota' and what better time than bedtime to get it.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05