Author Topic: 26m refusing nap + hysterical by 5pm  (Read 1788 times)

Offline MamaBergs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
26m refusing nap + hysterical by 5pm
« on: June 09, 2019, 10:15:01 am »
26m old usually very by the clock with her naps & sleep (never gives off tired signals). Wakes between 6.30 - 7.30am, usually naps around 1pm-3pm MAX (joint nap with brother). the last week she hasnt been taking her nap, she just lays in her room and plays around, which would be fine except for 2 reasons. 1 - she is absolutely HYSTERICALLY overtired and frantic come 5pm. 2 - she shares with her 10m old brother and usually wakes him wanting to play. Her bedtime was 7pm but we have shifted to 6.30 with the lack of nap. Shes completely inconsolable from 5pm- 6.30pm and we try to get her in bed as soon as we can. Bath/shower only escalates the hysterics.

The only changes ive otherwise noticed are - eating 4x serves of breakfast. A few weeks ago we took the side off her cot to aid with naptime toilet training, she was over the moon happy about the side coming off and was loving taking herself off to bed. Then the last week at bedtime shes been wanting to sleep on the floor between her cot and her brothers.

I really feel she needs her nap still because of how overtired and hysterical she becomes. Any suggestions? Ive tried a 12.30nap time but hasnt helped. Should i try a later nap time?

thank you
Mama to two under 1.5

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 26m refusing nap + hysterical by 5pm
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 13:37:41 pm »
My youngest DS dropped his nap at this age, can you offer a buggy nap or car nap for about 15/20 mins about 3pm often saved the day for us x
Zoe

Offline MamaBergs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 21:49:58 pm »
Thanks id be happy with a little nap to help see her through. Shes never been one to nap in the car or pram unfortunately, always likes to nap in her cot.
Mama to two under 1.5

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 23:11:53 pm »
One of those situations where you can set them up to sleep but you can force it.
The one thing you can change is waking her sibling. What I did when my eldest stopped wanting to nap was to give him 'quiet time' on my bed in my bedroom. He could play on the bed, but needed to stay on it.... Sometimes it meant he napped, just because it was different.

The other thing to encourage a nap is loads of outdoor exercise, if you aren't already doing that I think the WHO recommendations are 3 hours of active physical play. So if she's not getting as much as that then that could help with the being tired enough to sleep.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline MamaBergs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 02:48:29 am »
Thank you i will give her some more outdoor play time
Mama to two under 1.5