Author Topic: almost 4 years old still wearing diapers to sleep  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
almost 4 years old still wearing diapers to sleep
« on: November 29, 2020, 23:05:52 pm »
Hi there! My 3.9 yo dd says she wants to turn 4 without wearing diapers to sleep. Turns out she still pees in the diaper during the night (her diaper never finishes the night dry).
Two nights ago I told her, let's sleep without diapers. I've taken her to pee at 1 am, she did pee in the toilet, but then she peed herself again at 5 am and at 7,30 am. At 5 am, she didn't even wake up bothered by being wet. At 7,30, I think she was done sleeping, so she did call me to let me know she was wet.
Wherever I read about dropping diapers, the advice say that the child needs to either be ready to spend a dry night or to wake up when she wants to pee. Mine doesn't do either, but she does have the willingness to drop it. I live in Brazil so it's pretty hot right now, perfect time for trying. Should I insist???

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: almost 4 years old still wearing diapers to sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 03:03:11 am »
There is long term evidence that (particularly for females) it's best for the pelvic floor muscles to let nature take its course and when the hormonal changes kick in and they are dry overnight, they are dry overnight.
Approximately 50% of 4yo still wet the bed at night and 10% of 8yo, so I'd just give the message that when her body is ready she will be dry at night and don't wake her up to take her as that will confuse her body/mess hormonal balance and slow the maturity of hormones and delay proper night dryness even more.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05