Author Topic: 5 month old suddenly wont nap at Grandparents  (Read 3301 times)

Offline mbk907

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old suddenly wont nap at Grandparents
« on: December 30, 2020, 20:04:50 pm »
My wife is typically home with our 5 month old daughter (Ella) and she naps pretty well at home (anywhere from 40 min- 2hours). However, every now and then my wife may have to run somewhere and she takes Ella to her parents house. She had been napping well over there (not quite as well as at home, but good enough), but suddenly this past week she has twice boycotted her nap at the grandparents. They havent changed anything in how they put her to bed. And they have said Ella isn't really crying, but just moreso rolling around and wide awake. Any suggestions as to what suddenly changed with her naps? Like I said, her grandfather has said that he hasn't changed any way he used to put her down for a nap and does the same routine that we do at home. Today, my wife brought Ella home and laid her right down in her crib at home and she passed ot within 5 minutes. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 5 month old suddenly wont nap at Grandparents
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 03:29:11 am »
Sounds like your little one is not a little baby anymore & is taking an interest in her surroundings and noticing that the place she is having a nap is different and wants to take in all the new surroundings.

It may take more practice for her to get to the point she will sleep there & probably the more times she gets to observe the surroundings when she is awake might help.

It's important to note that they change and adjustment is needed. My eledest found it hard to sleep in places other than home from about the same age & learning to be flexible is an important skill as just when you think you have it all working they get older & things change.

You may actually find that it could be better for the grandparents to tweak the routine so that it is a bit different rather than the same as a home, so your Daughter has more experience with different situations, rather than trying to keep the routine identical everywhere.  The Grandparents might like to take her out for a walk and let her fall asleep in the stroller/pushchair,   

Also if she misses a nap & is happy, then don't worry too much, babies are resillient.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05