Author Topic: URGENT - rolling over onto tummy at night  (Read 12789 times)

Offline mlindsey

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
URGENT - rolling over onto tummy at night
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005, 15:27:49 pm »
i'm in a similiar situation.  My 4.5 month old daughter keeps rolling over on her belly when i put her down. & she won't fall asleep on her belly.  When i turn her back on her belly, she keeps trying to pull herself back over.  Today she even seems a little afraid of her bed.  I've tried swaddling her but it doesn't work.  She just keeps working to free herself.  Today i tried using a wedge & it seemed to help.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should i keep turning her over to her belly?  She gets alittle hysterical & i pick her up to soothe her.  Should i keep picking her up?  She was falling asleep on her own before this...occassionally she would fuss a little when put down...but generally she would be asleep in 20 minutes or less.  This process of picking her up seems start over her falling asleep process.  Any advise? 
Thanks,
Misty

Offline Bkkmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 10:49:58 am »
DS is now 5 months old and has been waking 1-2 hourly for the last 2 weeks as he can roll from his side (preferred sleep position) to his tummy, but cannot get back.

I have got rid of the wedges as he wriggles out of them, and if he is on his tummy, I just pat him in this position.  Sometimes he will go to sleep like this, but more often than not I have to flip him over and this will often wake him up fully and it takes ages to resettle.  I end up feeding him once during the night (other than the DF) as there is always one period where I try to resettle for over an hour and find that a small feed (3-4 oz) makes it easier to get him back to sleep.

I rock him till he gets drowsy and then put him down on his side, and he will then roll onto his tummy or back and cannot get to sleep.

Like someone else who posted earlier, he is often not upset when I roll him over, he just looks up at me smiling.  I try to leave him, but he will soon start crying once I have left the room.

I am giving him lots of tummy time during the day in the hope that he will soon learn to roll back from tummy to side or back and be able to resettle himself.  He has not slept longer than 3 hours at a time in these last two weeks so I am really hoping it will get better soon.  It does make it easier to know that others are experiencing the same thing.
This is how old Aran is

Offline MelissaS

• Showing Appreciation 4
Rolling at 5 half mths
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 00:27:18 am »
Hi,
I am having the same problem as well - bub sleeps soundly on his tummy but rolls onto his back and then calls out to me to roll him back over onto his stomach. If I leave him (never longer than a couple of minutes) he will start to cry and will not resettle himself and it ends up harder for him to go back to sleep as he becomes over stimulated)
Even though it takes not even two seconds for him to fall asleep if I roll him back over straight away - this can be every one to two hours from 11 onwards - 1am, 3am, 5am then wake at 6.30 or 7am.
He used to sleep on his back when very young but would wake half hourly and when he eventually learned to sleep on his stomach he slept longer.
I am very tired, tried bumpers etc. and now bub is starting to teeth so I think this may be making it worse?
I feel a little better reading that others have the same issues its not just me on my lonesome.
Melissa
(Mum to David 20/02/2005 - mostly spirited/textbook)

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 18:06:26 pm »
melissa or kaylee,

how are your lo's? i've posted so much about my tummy sleeper who's rolling. it seems it's easier for back sleepers to get used to their tummies than tummy sleepers on their backs.

iv'e been flipping over my almost 5mo when he wakes up but it has almost been a month and i am SO tired. i am very tempted to just let him cry when he's on his back. he wakes almost every hour at night.

have your lo's finally gotten over this? what should i dO? should i pu/pd on his back? just let him cry? argh.

thanks
selena
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline jjstar

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.leavingalegacyretreats.com
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 21:51:23 pm »
Kaylee...your situation sounds like exactly what my LO is doing. He is a tummy sleeper and will roll over to his back and just laugh at me. What did you do to overcome this?

TIA
Jill, proud mother to Jameson born 05.05.05,
touchy/textbook baby!

Offline MelissaS

• Showing Appreciation 4
Rolling Over
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2005, 01:07:57 am »
Hello all,

I can't believe so many people have had the same problem around the 5mth mark, my bub is now 6mths. I was really starting to think it was just me with bub every hour rolling over. I was extremely sleep deprived for about 1.5 months until he finally learnt how to roll from is back to his stomach during the day.

I gave him heaps of praise and he kept doing it for the rest of the day extremely proud of himself that he could. You wouldnt believe it but the DAY he learnt how to flip himself back over - I had the best nights sleep again - back to waking only 3-4 hourly at the most.

I hate to say it but I just kept getting up every hour or so for the month until he learnt how to flip himself back again - I just couldnt deal with the crying and found he got more upset from PU/PD. Finally now its great BUT he has just learnt how to stand up in his cot - its funny at the moment when he calls out to me in the morning standing up but I am waiting for the night calls to start. Oh well here we go again.

Just have to love them :)
Melissa
(Mum to David 20/02/2005 - mostly spirited/textbook)

Offline micah'smom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.xanga.com/mrskohng
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2005, 02:22:43 am »
thanks for the encouragement melissa! i keep reading/hearing that the rolling thing lasts a week, a couple weeks. i thought i must be going insane since it's been a month for us! ds just flipped over back to belly today several times and had a huge grin on his face each time. right now he's slept for 2 hrs. A BIG DEAL for us!

thanks again and let us know how this next milestone goes for you..
selena, mom to micah 4/14/05

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2005, 19:41:25 pm »
The rolling thing has been going on for a while for us as well.  At first dd could not turn herself back so I had to go in and turn her back around numerous times a night.  I started giving her lots of tummy time during the day so she'd get comfortable going back and forth.  Even after she learned that she'd still get upset when she ended up on her tummy in her crib at night and call for me to flip her over.  So I had her spend a lot of playtime in her crib rolling around.  In the interim while she was learning all that I also purchased a positioner which initially helped a great deal (not any more).  In the end, she has mastered the art of rolling around in the crib to get back to the position she's always slept in, which is on her back.  She still does not like or know how to sleep on her tummy.  But except for the occasional time that she'll get herself stuck into an odd position and call for me, I don't have to go in at night to flip her over.  There's light at the end of the tunnel -- I think every baby figures out their own solution.
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2005, 20:13:11 pm »
I never understood how milestones affected babies' sleep until the rolling thing happened!  *lol*  :lol:  Before that I thought, "What? Are they just so tired that they can't sleep that well?"  I'm still laughing at myself at that one!  That's a first-time mother for you!   :wink:

After reading this and a couple of other posts, I understand that "this, too, shall pass."  Julieb and Bkkmom had great suggestions about giving them lots of tummy time and floor space to practice!  I'm doing that (rather than sitting him down somewhere) as well as letting him stay on his tummy and play in the crib.  I can already see how I will have a problem when he learns to crawl.  He's revving up!!   :lol:  :lol:

A suggestion to the ladies that are sleep deprived... If you could possibly go to bed a little earlier, I'd say do it!  I'm a late sleeper and have been sleep deprived all this past week.  The one day I made it to bed at 10 PM and got an extra 1 - 1.5 hours of sleep, I felt a lot better during the day!  It takes some getting used to but it will help.    :)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna