Author Topic: cereal in a bottle?  (Read 3471 times)

Offline wilksterette

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • CHEEEEEEESE!!!!!
cereal in a bottle?
« on: July 12, 2005, 01:11:56 am »
My daughter is almost 4.5 mo. We started her on cereal (rice) the day she turned 4 mo. We started her with the spoon and she takes it amazingly well. However, I am a stickler about sticking to our routine (cereal around 11am and cereal around 7 pm). Is is bad to put cereal in her bottle if we are out at those times. It just seems like such a pain to feed her from a bowl and spoon during a shopping trip out of town. I don't want her to get used to getting it out of a bottle, but I'm thinking every once ina while wouldn't hurt. What are you guys' thoughts?
Corrine
Corrine
Wife to Gary 01/07/05
Mom to Natalie 03/02/05
Mom to "Taylor" EDD 11/04/07

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 03:28:20 am »
It didn't hurt me as a kid, however, the doctors are saying you shouldn't do it nowadays.  The reasoning is, babes aren't used to the thickness of cereal coming out the nipple and they may not swallow it completely before drawing a breath causing them to choke.  Have you tried the haberman feeder?  It's less messy than a spoon, and you won't have to worry about her asphixiating.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 12:52:36 pm »
Hi - I'm just wondering why you decided to start cereal so early?  The recommendations now are to wait until 6 months to start all solids, including cereal...   The choking risk is there if you put it in the bottle - if she needs it to be that thin to eat, then she probably shouldn't be eating cereal at all yet... :oops: Why not wait a bit?  She's going to be eating solid food for years and years to come...what's the rush? :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline wilksterette

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • CHEEEEEEESE!!!!!
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 21:55:31 pm »
She was ready, and that's all I have to say otherwise, I will go into debate mode. But thank you for your tips, they are much appreciated. We tried a little in the bottle today (very thin) and she did excellent.
Thank you,
Corrine
Corrine
Wife to Gary 01/07/05
Mom to Natalie 03/02/05

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Showing Appreciation 218
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 22:35:25 pm »
Here's a link for you to look at, the article gives another reason not to feed cereal in a bottle; 

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/expert/554980.html

The article makes it clear that choking is not the only hazard, and that you could be affecting a developmental milestone.

The decision to begin feeding solids remains with you and your health professional to decide, but as for feeding cereal of any consistancy from a bottle, I would never do it.

HTH  :D
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline wilksterette

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • CHEEEEEEESE!!!!!
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 23:35:52 pm »
Very useful article, thank you. She has already mastered her spoon ( that was no work at all  :D ). I thought it would be okay for her to have it in a bottle if it was only once in a while (I know I had it out of a bottle, and I'm okay), but i think I see the problem of inconsistency. We probably won't be doing that again. I have not tried a haberman (sp?) feeder, because it's still the same concept of a bottle, is it not? As for the whole solids thing, we are sticking strictly to rice cereal until five or six months (even though the doc says it's okay to try fruits and veggies). I had planned on waiting closer to the sixth month mark, but my daughter definately seemed ready, as she was trying to eat MY food  :shock:  and she doesn't have that tongue reflex thingy anymore. Anyway, thank you for all of the advice, sorry if i seemed rude earlier, don't mean to offend any body.
Corrine
Corrine
Wife to Gary 01/07/05
Mom to Natalie 03/02/05

Offline mattandcindy

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 23:48:26 pm »
My daughter has reflux and has been doing thickened feeding for about 3 weeks now (she is 4.5 months). We have had NO problems and the doctor actually recommended this for her.
As of now she doesn't seem to have any problems differentiating solids from bottle, she takes rice cereal great from a spoon and has no problems taking her bottle.
Be cautious but also use common sense. You are your childs mother and you know what's best for your child. Don't let people bully you in how to care for your child. Do what YOU are comfortable with.
I know TONS of people who started solids with their child at age 4-5 months. They are all healthy and thriving children.
Cindy

Offline wilksterette

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • CHEEEEEEESE!!!!!
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 23:50:15 pm »
Thank you for your support. I just wanted to say that Natalie is a reluxer too (forgot to mention earlier) and she also has the same shirt as your baby in the pic  :)
Corrine
Wife to Gary 01/07/05
Mom to Natalie 03/02/05

Offline mattandcindy

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 00:08:09 am »
I think that makes a lot of difference when talking about adding cereal to a bottle. It is very common with reflux babies. If you are only doing it out of convience than I would just skip the cereal that feeding. I have skipped giving her spoon cereal when it is inconvient and she hasn't been any worse for the where!
Yes, our LO's are close in age too.
Cindy

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Toronto, Canada (I'm back baby!)
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 13:24:55 pm »
Corrine,

My dd's doctor also approved to start solids at 4 months.  We had to wait til 4.5 or so because she had a severe eczema breakout...but anyway.  She just turned 6 months and has already had 2 types of cereal, 4 veggies and we're now trying fruit.  So no worries if that's what you felt was right - you're not the only one.

As for feeding cereal from the bottle, the posts above discourage it but I just wanted to add what I've heard.  The reason for solids younger than a year old is for swallowing training only - as they still get most of their nutrition from their formula/breastmilk.  So I would agree that on days when it's incovenient, just skip that meal and start fresh the next day.  We've done that 1-2 days and dd's been just fine.
Michelle

Proud mommy to Kinlagh Emilie
Born 19/01/2005

Offline wilksterette

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • CHEEEEEEESE!!!!!
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 01:51:26 am »
Thank you for the support. Just an update: Natalie has done excellent with both rice and oatmeal cereals. She has now tried a couple fruits and veggies. Her favorites are green beans and sweet potatoes (not together). I'm so glad she is eating her vegatables without hassle!
Corrine
Wife to Gary 01/07/05
Mom to Natalie 03/02/05

Offline mattandcindy

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 04:05:25 am »
Glad she is doing well.
Abigail also loves her veggies. I was so worried because everyone makes a big deal about them not liking veggies. So far, Abigail has liked everything we put in her mouth!
Cindy

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
cereal in a bottle?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 07:52:40 am »
Hi my DD had solids at 4 months as she was a hungry baby. At the end of the day re starting solids i think you know your lo best and if they want it let them at it!! as long as you continue milk feeds as well. At 5 months my DD was having puree veggies, fruit and chicken and then at 6 months she started to have a bit of finger food. I think as a mother you know best, but i would heed Harveys Folks advise re cereal in bottles.
Ailahx :D