Author Topic: Am I the only mum with a 13mth old who eats pureed food?  (Read 7883 times)

++++juli++++

Feeding issues from Argentina
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 09:28:26 am »
Hy everybody!!!
I'll do my best for make a good writing in english, so excuse me if it isn't perfect.
I'd like to share my experience with you. My doughter's name is Lucrecia and is 1 year old. Like you, I'm worried too because of the way she eats. I thought that by now, she would be eating solids like meat, veggies, rice, etc. But she's steel eating just puree and mostly sweet stuff (fruits with yogurt and cereal, etc).
Today we went to her ped and told me that it doesn't matter if she doesn't eat meat, if she keeps eating fruits and milk, but to keep trying introducing new flavors.
What I see is that she only accepts sweet stuff, but not salted ones, so is hard to make her eat veggetables and meat.
Does this happens to any of you??? :?

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Am I the only mum with a 13mth old who eats pureed food?
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 09:54:36 am »
Have you tried vegies with cheese sauce like cauliflower? My dd really likes it. The cheese flavour must hide the taste of the vegies. You can start with more sauce then gradually increase the amount of vegies or reduce the amount of sauce.

Also a good dish is to put combine sweet potato with peas & spinach. I have a receipe from the Anna Kambel's cookbook if you want. My dd eats half the stuff in this book, very easy to prepare.

Babies also love lentils which is a good source of iron & protein.
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2005, 17:46:02 pm »
Hi Catherine!

I just want you to know how funny it was to read your message because our ds does the same thing as your dd.  He will eat finger food much more readily if he is just snacking and able to walk around!  He has a bad cold and ear infection right now so his appetite is not so great, plus we are visiting family so he is a little out of sorts.  Funny you mention she spits out the peel of  a grape.  Killian has done the same thing with peas a couple of times.  He is seeing his similar age cousins eat like crazy so maybe that will encourage him.  Although I must say it just makes me worry all the more when I see how well and readily other kids his age eat.  Hopefully we'll get there :D
Julie

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2005, 17:48:56 pm »
Hi Juli,

Just wanted to let you know we have similar issues with our son.  He accepts sweet much more readily than savory.  But we keep at it :D   Talk soon
Julie

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2005, 04:13:25 am »
Hey everyone,

Hope all our LOs are doing better with eating.

My dd is becoming more interested in what I eat and will put most food in her mouth. If it dissolves in her mouth then its not a problem but if it doesn't then she's started this very bad habit of spitting it out. For example, chicken, she'll chew it till its in little bits then spit it all out. Same with food like prawns, any meat, even apples.

I've started to peel her grapes and that has stopped her spitting the skin out. She also spits out her food when she wants to eat something else or drink her water.

Anyone experienced this before?
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2005, 01:40:15 am »
Hi Catherine!

Our ds does the same with meat, chews and spits out.  He spits out things if he doesn't like them, I think its pretty normal.  I also think he spits things out that are beyond his chewing capabilities.  He is getting better and will at least try almost anything I offer. I have read in "Child of Mine, feeding with Love and Good Sense"  that young children often will first play with the food, then put in their mouth and spit out, then chew and spit out, then finally chew and swallow when they are comfortable with the new food.  Our ds has come a ways, but still doesn't chew as well as others his age (14 months).  Hopefully by the time he is 18 months we can look back and see more progress :D
Julie