Author Topic: How long do you swaddle?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline lbee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 24, 2005, 02:03:23 am »
At what point do you stop swaddling a baby? When it is safe to begin using a blanket at night, without the risk of SIDS?  Are there other options for keeping baby warm at night?  Its summer now, so I have not been too worried, but when fall comes I want to be prepared.

Thanks for any advice!
Lisa
Mom to Brooke Marie
Born May 7, 2005

happy mommy

How long do you swaddle?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 07:31:04 am »
I swaddled J. until he could wiggle around enough that I'd find him tangled at the foot of his crib...can't remember how old that was exactly!  He is almost 8 months and still doesn't use a blanket...of course it is summer here too!  I can't remember when I started using a blanket with X....probably not until he was out of his crib and in a bed...which happened at 15 months.  Yeah, I think I probably gave him a small, light blanket then just to familarize him with one.  I just dressed him in warm jammies and made sure his room didn't get cold.  I don't know when I'll introduce a blanket with J, I seem to have *relaxed* a little with my second...but we'll see :wink:

Holly :wink:

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 81
How long do you swaddle?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 14:07:16 pm »
I swaddled Hunter until he was 5.5 ish months old and was rolling over with the swaddle on.  Until then, he would be in the same spot I left him in the morning, so I felt safe using a couple of light blankets on him (2 receiving blankets).  Once he could roll around really well, I stopped swaddling him.  It took a couple of days for him to get used to it, but he's fine now.

HTH  :wink:  :D
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07

Gigismom

How long do you swaddle?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 18:20:04 pm »
we stopped at about 3 months when dd kept escaping the blanket.  we did it gradually, first leaving one arm out, then both, then no blanket at all.  we then used a blanket sleeper that went over her pajamas to keep her warm.  if you need one, they have nice ones at onestepahead.com.

Offline lbee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 02:50:47 am »
Thanks to all who replied.  My mom made some larger light weight blankets, and if I wrap her with her arms out, she stays put. She started rolling to her side this week, and we have found her sleeping this way a few times, with the blanket still in place.  I am now looking for sleeper blankets for the winter. :D
Lisa
Mom to Brooke Marie
Born May 7, 2005