Author Topic: When to start using a blanket or covering  (Read 1622 times)

Offline sousafamilia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
When to start using a blanket or covering
« on: July 28, 2005, 21:19:33 pm »
Now that the nights are (finally) starting to cool down, we're not sure about putting anything on our little one to keep him warm overnight. 

When is it okay to cover them with a blanket?

We have a grow bag (sleeping bag) and wonder if we should just stick with that, but sometimes after he's gone down without it, we wonder if we should cover him up in the middle of the night.
Steven and Maggie
Proud Parents of Ben and Xander

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 22:20:51 pm »
I love using the sleeping bags.  they don't recommend putting extra blankets, but alter what baby is sleeping in.  I have no idea how, at age 19 months, what he would do if just under a blanket - he is such a wriggler at night that he manouevers round from one end of the cot to the ohter.

At the moment DS is in a summer weight bag, but i have the winter weight too. 

Take last night, it was chilly, so I put him in long sleeve pyjama top so his arms didn't get cold, tonight it is humid and muggy - so back to sleeping in short sleeved pj top and bottoms. 

HTH

Alex

Offline georgia's mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 23:18:12 pm »
Our Georgia is almost 14 months old and we have always used blankets but made sure they were knitted or crocheted(sp?) so that there were air holes.  At first we used a nester so the receiving blankets as well as the knitted ones were okay but once she started to roll over, pull up the blankets and get out of her nester (about 5 months)we switched to the other kind.  Now she kicks them off or throws them out of her crib so we just make sure her pj's are cozy ones and cover her up before we go to bed.
loving my baby girl

Offline annas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 19:46:20 pm »
I would say if he is going down without any covers and doesn't wake up, then I wouldn't bother with any covers. When we had hot weather and my DD would go to sleep without covers we often ended up going in a couple of times in the night haviing ot cover her up as she was crying 'cos she was cold.  If he is waking up I would suggest getting the high summer grobag (0.5 tog) - this is what we ended up doing as we were all getting v tired with the night wakings and it has worked a treat!
Even now as the weather has cooled down a little, we are still using the o.5 tog grobag and putting her in a long sleeved sleep suit which is working very well.
HTH

Clare

annas mum

Offline EmmasMomCanada

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 19:25:51 pm »
I'm beginning to put a blanket on my LO in the evening too and she doesn't mind when i tuck her in, but when I check on her less than 1/2 hour later she has kicked off the covers.  She's also quite a wanderer in bed, so it's not working very well.  She has been waking at about 6ish crying - it only lasts a short time (5 min) and she goes back to sleep until 7ish (usually) but I think it's because she wakes up cold.  I always used sleeping bags on her until the summer - but that was back when she couldn't stand up or anything - so now that she's standing and walking I don't know how she will react with a sleeping bag.  Anyone had any problems with their LO upset about the mobility restrictions a sleeping bag causes?
Sara

"Spirited" Emma 7/7/2004
"Angel" Hannah 4/13/2007