Author Topic: when to go to 3 breastfeeds  (Read 2804 times)

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
when to go to 3 breastfeeds
« on: August 01, 2005, 17:13:14 pm »
Just curious, at what age did you go to 3 breastfeeds a day and when did/do you offer?  Lindsey still gets 4 but just starting to think about maybe going to 3 but not sure yet.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

annamum

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 22:50:53 pm »
Hmmm, we never went to 3 breastfeeds per day. Anna decreased her nursings at around 12 months and was able to go 6-7 hours without it. She also increased her solids intake at that time and had a growth spurt that lasted 2 months  :shock: . She was able to eat solids 10 times a day in quantities that amazed me.
Now, she practically demand nurses as she can ask for it and I don't offer. On busy days she gets to nurse maybe 3 times, on boring days, that we stay at home, she gets milk up to 5 times.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 23:01:16 pm »
Aiden went to 3 feeds at about 9months as it was about then that he had 3 meals & 2 snacks so I offered feeds after meals, except breakfast, which he got bf at about 6am & breakfast later as that fitted my work times.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 00:21:50 am »
I think we stayed on four until he weaned as well.

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 08:39:43 am »
We dropped to four at 10m - I had been meaning to at 9m, but dd wasn't really eating much at that time.  I dropped the mid-afternoon one, so that left one bf after each main meal.

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 14:41:06 pm »
Thanks all.  Deenz-do you mean you dropped to 3 at 10 months or 4.  Also, did you give the milk right after solids or did you wait a while after solids before offering.  My breastfeeding book says you can begin offering solids before milk at 10 months so I am thinking about maybe doing that when she is 10 months.  It seems like it may work out ok doing solids first then milk and that way her last breastfeed of the day could still be at bedtime.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 09:26:57 am »
Yes, sorry, I meant I dropped to three bf at 10m.  I did the bf pretty much straight after the meal (except for dinner, which had the bath inbetween solids and bf).  Swopping the first bf of the day to after breakfast was the hardest to do (Dh fed her breakfast without her first seeing me, for the first few days when we started).