Author Topic: Mourning end of daytime nap  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Sam'smum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mourning end of daytime nap
« on: August 03, 2005, 18:55:13 pm »
Well my 21 month old seems to have stopped his daytime nap.  Im sooooo gutted.  It was my hour and a half of peace.  Im just wondering whether how many others finished with their daytime naps before they reached 2?

Also, he is still at that in between stage where he wont sleep at his usual naptime but then is cranky and sleepy late afternoon. Is there any way of dealing with this?

Offline amheusser

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
Mourning end of daytime nap
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 19:04:17 pm »
My 3 year old has gone back & forth on this a few times.  Today is her 3rd day in a row with no nap, and evenings are a nightmare if she doesn't go to bed right after dinner.  But when I put her down that early, she gets 12 hrs sleep at night and doesn't want a nap the next day.  So sometimes I keep her up until the regular bedtime (this takes a LOT of distraction) in the hope she'll take a nap the next day and get back on track.   I've also moved her naptime around a few times - sometimes it needs to be earlier (like 12:30), other times later (like 2:00), but once I figure it out I'll get a few weeks of good naps before things change again.  I guess my point is don't give up on naps this early! 

If he is really resisting, make a new routine of afternoon quiet time, where he doesn't have to sleep but stays quietly in bed to read or whatever.  That way at least his body will have a chance to recharge, and not have such awful evenings.  And definitely move up bedtime, so he gets a longer night sleep (and so you don't go crazy yourself).
Aubrey
-------------------------------