Author Topic: When to move to a 4 hour routine?  (Read 5304 times)

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
When to move to a 4 hour routine?
« on: August 05, 2005, 14:29:47 pm »
Hi,  My daughter is 15 wks and I'm not sure when to begin moving her to a  four hour routine.  She did not move to a 3 hour routine until she was 12 wks old (We were stuck at 2.5 forever!), so I would hate to make any other moves too fast.  What are the signs that they are ready?  She has just begun to put herself to sleep, naps are O.K and getting better.  Before her 3mnth growth spurt, she was able to go from 7:30 to 3:00 am before another feed (I don't dream feed).  For the past few weeks she wakes  anywhere from midnight to  3:00 am and is ready to eat.  She has 5 dayfeeds and 1 or 2 night feeds.   Could these early night  feeds mean that she is ready for a 4 hr. routine?  Also concerned about my supply.  It seems fine now, just don't want to do anything wrong!  Thanks for any advice!

Jessica
Mommy to beautiful Claire Marie

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 18:48:28 pm »
In my experience, we weren't ready to go to the 4 hr routine until he could stay awake almost 2 hrs at a time. He was up for 2 ish hours and slept for 2 ish hours.

Some moms find that their babies can go 4 hrs between some feeds and only 2 hrs between others, later in the day. Just make sure you are getting full feeds each time, and enough during the day, or they will wake for food at night.

Every baby is different!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 20:35:31 pm »
If you just got to 3 hour schedule you don't need to rush to 4 hours. Especially if you are comfortable with that. I was nursing Anna every 2-2.5 hours till she was 4.5 months old and then it was 3 hours, sometimes 4 and sometimes 2.5 again. There is no rule or age when a baby needs to move on unless you see she is ready. In my experience, breastfed babies do better with a 4 hour schedule when they are on solids and nap better. It is difficult to have 45 minutes naps and work them into a 4 hour routine.

So, yes, if she naps well and is able to go longer, you may try but keep in mind that moving to 4 hours will eventually decrease your milk supply which is normal as you have lesser demand. As I said before, when solids are introduced your lower milk supply is natural and not a problem.

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 13:49:16 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I think I will wait, as she is not the best napper, and I would hate to mess up my supply. 
Is it normal for her to need 2 night feedings at this age?  If she needs it, I don't mind doing it.  But do you think cutting one out would help her to eat more during the day?  She seems satisfied during the day feedings and often spends a few minutes just pacifying herself so I don't know if she would eat more or not.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Jessica

annamum

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 16:16:36 pm »
It is normal to have two wakings at night at this age. Babies also wake up not only because of hunger but for comfort, because they can't get back to sleep by themselves and so on.

I think it is normal to feed twice per night at her age. But what you can do is check if she is hungry when she wakes up, is she taking a full feed?

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 13:36:25 pm »
Thanks for your reply Monika.  Last night I timed her and at the 1am feed, she ate well for about 10 minutes and then slowed down.  At the 4am feed she only ate well for about 4 minutes.  I think I will continue these feeds for a while longer and see if she will eventually move the 1am feed to 2 or 3, then she may not need the second as she usually wakes around 7am.
Any ideas on how to encourage this.  She won't take the pacifier anymore at night (thats how I used to get her to wait until 3!) and when I do pat/shh, she'll only sleep for another 40 min or so and then wake again.  I guess I could do it for a while and get her to 2, then gradually move to 3?   Like I said, I really don't mind feeding her at night.  I actually kind of like the time with her and I'm blessed to be able to stay home with her during the day.  It is a little rough on my hubby though.  Her room is right across the hall and he is a LITE sleeper.  He doesn't complain, I just know that he's tired.  Regardless we both just want to do whats best for her.  Thanks for any advice!
Jessica

annamum

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 17:01:08 pm »
Hmmm, I am not good in that department  :( . You can probably get better advice on sleep boards. Personally, I think she still probably needs those feeds if she wakes at different times each night.

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 17:56:21 pm »
Thanks for your help.  I'll give the sleep boards a try!
Jessica :D