Author Topic: 7 month old dependant on pacifier - wakes constantly  (Read 2224 times)

Offline marbleheadmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 month old dependant on pacifier - wakes constantly
« on: August 13, 2005, 00:12:54 am »
My 7 month old has never slept well, so at this point, I'm pretty exhausted and am running out of ideas. He's completely dependant on his pacifier to get back to sleep. We've tried removing it from his bed and he will cry sometimes up to 2 hours. I've tried rubbing his back every 10 minutes or so in place of the pacifier but it doesn't seem to calm him at all. Even though he eventually falls asleep, he'll be right back up again and hour or so later. If I don't get in there right away, he'll eventually wake himself up completely which means that we'll be listening to him cry again for about 2 hours until he falls asleep.

During the day, he naps pretty well but he's always a bit agitated and loses interest in whatever he's doing very quickly. It seems to be almost impossible to hold his interest with anything. Any thoughts for a desperate mom.

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 02:23:24 am »
Hi!

How long have you been trying to get rid of the pacifier? If you just started, remember it will take a bit of time, but be well worth it in the end. Have you tried PU/PD to get ds to sleep without the prop? Have you read about the PU/PD method in any of Tracey's books? You can read about it on the PU/PD board. There are posts for different age groups.

You may want to check out the PU/PD board because when you teach ds to sleep independent of the prop, the night wakings will get MUCH better!  :D
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline marbleheadmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 17:36:01 pm »
I have read one of Tracy's books but I think I was doing PU/PD wrong. I've been trying to get rid of the pacifier for a couple of days not but probably just haven't been at it long enough. I was letting him cry a bit and then I would go in a PU/PD, then I would go in again if he escalated again. From reading a bit more through the forums, it seems that I should be using the technique to reassure him as soon as he starts to fuss. Also, should I still try swaddling if he is 7 months? Is he too old for that?

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:00:09 am »
I would go ahead and start PU/PD from the start of his crying. I don't think I would swaddle a seven month old if he is not used to that. Check out the PU/PD board to get lots of help an advice on doing PU/PD with him.  :D
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline marbleheadmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 00:18:51 am »
Thank you for your help. I have been using the PU/PD technique for a few days now and he slept from 7:30pm until 4:00 am last night. He's never done that before. I'm so excited.