Author Topic: Too hot to sleep?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline KaCee

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Too hot to sleep?
« on: August 16, 2005, 06:00:37 am »
My 6 1/2 month old has recently started waking up all through the night, and then deciding to get up for the day at 5 - 5:30! As I type this, my husband is trying to get her to sleep (something we've been working on for the last 3 hours!!) I'm beginning to suspect that maybe she's too hot...? It's been REALLY hot in our place (well, for us... we're used to MUCH milder temperatures!!  :? )

She is warm and clammy when we check on her. We've got her in nothing but a little onesie, and a fan running in her room all day long to keep it cool.

Is it possible that that's the problem? I could also suspect her recent immunizations (almost a week ago), or... hunger? (she only gained 14 ounces in the last 2 months) Hmm...
Korinne
Mommy to Mercy Sloan - Feb. 4, 2005

Langley, British Columbia, Canada

Heather

Too hot to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 06:19:06 am »
Well, ya know, I'm pretty sure we live in the same neck of the woods (I'm on Vancouver Island....you're Twiggy's friend, right?) and it is HOT.  It's 11:15pm and I'm sitting here at the computer in front of the fan because I'm too hot too sleep. :?  So the heat could definitely be the problem....how is she during the day?  Does she handle the heat okay then?

Could also be hunger, as you mentioned (growth spurt??)....not sure on the immunization query, especially a week later.

Good luck, and I hope you get some sleep.

happy mommy

Too hot to sleep?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 06:20:27 am »
We are having the same problem here too.  We live in a mild climate so no Air Conditioner...but right now we could use one.  Our 8 month old and 3 year old are both waking several times a night and early in the morning too.  (They share a room with a western exposure so it gets the late afternoon heat.)  *sigh*

Holly :wink:

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Too hot to sleep?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 06:30:22 am »
when my first was 6-7 mo old we hit summer here and had no air con and lived on the 8th fl wher our apartment trapped all that afternoon heat into the  bricks of her bedroom walls.  there was no way to get it cool and often it was 30 C in her room.  she had slept through since 2-3 mo and we were faced with the nightwakings a lot of the hottest nights.  i was still BF (and she refused bottles) so did feed her to keep her hydrated. when she was on the sippy cup i offered her water to stay hydrated and then put her back to bed.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline KaCee

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Too hot to sleep?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 17:27:28 pm »
Phew! Last night I finally went to bed but couldn't sleep because I was overheating!! Mercy woke up at 3:00 and had a hard time settling, but eventually slept again until almost 10:00 this morning! So she ended up having a decent sleep anyway. On the other hand, I did not. I woke up with her at three and couldn't get back to sleep for a few hours. Argh!!

(Yes, I am Twiggy's friend! And also an island-girl, originally! Oh how I miss the island!! Would love to go for a dip in the ocean... sigh)

I hadn't thought about bf-ing her during the night. Would that be habit forming?? She quickly reverts back into old habits too easily, but maybe that's all she needs is a drink. She too will refuse the bottle so that isn't an option. I will try that if she has a rough night tonight.

Hopefully it won't be another scorcher!
Korinne
Mommy to Mercy Sloan - Feb. 4, 2005

Langley, British Columbia, Canada

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Too hot to sleep?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 23:24:58 pm »
with Alex it diod not become a habit as it was driven by thirst and she had been sleeping through for months so i guess it really depends on your lo.  have you tried offering a suippy cup int he day - she might get good at that ina week but it could take longer.  when it is that hot it is usually hydration they are seeking - just be careful that you check that she is not overheating.  i tended to stress (about overheating / dehydration) when it was that hot and always fed her when she woke b/c i knew it was unusual for her.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified