Author Topic: no sleep, no fun :-(  (Read 1238 times)

Offline joeypin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 16, 2005, 10:05:11 am »
Hi there!
My little daughter is now 6 months old. I followed Tracey's recommendations about sleep when I was having problems with her at 2months. All the methods worked perfectly...until now!!

Now my Daughter has started waking up in the middle of the night for NOTHING!!!.
I try her with feed and she is not interested. I give her water and she takes a bit, and then I replace dummy and she eventually goes back to sleep. (for a little while, and then it all starts again!)
She is weaning now and I heard that at first baby's patterns of sleep are altered when food is introduced, but she has been on solids for a month now, so I think her body would have adjusted by now(?).

It seems as though she wants constant reassurance or pacifying (ie dummy) and keeps waking for this reason alone. I may be wrong, it could be teething, but I am sure she would be as fretful once I'd given her water etc if it was teething??

And help/advice would be appreciated, as she always seems grumpy in the daytimes now as she is not getting enough sleep at night, and I  think this preventing us from going out and stimulating her in the day!

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
no sleep, no fun :-(
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 10:15:18 am »
Hello, I don't have any answers for you, I just wanted to say I feel your pain!

My lo is a bit younger than yours, and isn't on solids yet, but has started to do the same thing in the past couple of days, at nap times as well as at night. I hear him start to cry on the monitor so I go into his room and, most of the time, I don't have to do anything, he'll go back to sleep. I think he is starting to be more aware of his surroundings, and needs the reassurance that Mummy isn't far away. I don't mind this in the day (in fact I think it's quite cute - I like the fact that he needs his Mummy  :oops:  :D ), but at night it's getting a bit tiresome!

This all started last Saturday when we had quite a large house party/bbq. The poor little thing was being passed around and coo-cooed at all day (and the routine went out the window :oops: ). I think it unsettled him, as it's just usually me & him, and dp in the evenings.

I hope he settles down, and I hope yours does too!

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
no sleep, no fun :-(
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 17:46:00 pm »
hi there!

we're seeing a little bit of this over here too, but it's getting better...

6 months is a big developmental time, and because there are so many new things sleep can be disturbed for a little bit (like up to a couple weeks or even more!)  i would say to really try to avoid introducing anything like water, food etc. cause that will be a really hard habit to break later on.

it could also be the very small beginnings of separatoin anxiety; sometimes it does show up this early.  as caroline said, if there is actual crying, go on in & reassure your lo and with consistency, you will have your great sleeper back again.

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy