Author Topic: Am I accidental parenting?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline babymou

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 16, 2005, 20:40:08 pm »
I just started my daughter who is 5 weeks old on EASY,basically she feeds every three hours. So far that is working great. My question is that when i put her down for a nap I swaddle her, and then hold her over my shoulder, for about 10 min. When i lay her down she is already pretty much asleep, mind you a very light sleep. Do you think I am teaching her to only sleep because i hold her. She does not wake up when i put her down. I am so worried I am setting myself up for something that in a few months I will regret.

Offline jrcygan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Am I accidental parenting?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 20:54:07 pm »
You are doing a lot right, the only thing i would suggest is too not hold her over your shoulder for quite so long.  I would set her in her crib when she is still awake but has shown you signs of being sleepy.  You don't want her to get in the habit of using you to get to sleep.  My personal opinion is that it is our job to teach our little ones how to sleep on their own.

good luck

lil'monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 21:00:30 pm »
Congrats on your lo!  I would not worry about it too much.  Why don't you slowly decrease the amount of time you hold her, say 1-2 min every few days till you are down to 1-2 min only or when she's still awake.  Just make this special time part of your wind down routine for naps/bedtime.   I still cuddle dd as part of her wind down as it seems to be the only time she will let me hold her and not want to crawl away.  Sometimes, dh and I miss the days when she could fall asleep on us as a newborn.  : :cry:

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 22:44:44 pm »
Quote from: lil'monkey
Sometimes, dh and I miss the days when she could fall asleep on us as a newborn.  : :cry:

Wasn't that great?!  My DH tried doing that once about a month ago to calm DS down and I said, "Um, that hasn't worked since he was like 2 months old!"  :lol:  :wink:
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna