Author Topic: sleeping on holiday  (Read 1142 times)

Offline victoriana

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 17, 2005, 23:16:56 pm »
:( I'm having difficulty with my little 16 month od boy when we go on holiday. Getting him to go to sleep at his regular time is a nightmare, he won't settle, he finds the whole thing hilarious!, instead of going to sleep at his normal time of around 18.00 he still on the go at 21.30 !. In the end I 'm having to put him in the car and drive around for a time in order to get him off to sleep.
I can see that new surroundings, being away from his usual environment and routine at home would be a major upheaval for him on holiday but what I want to ask all you good people is HOW and WHAT to do about sleeping methods/routine for my son when away from home?.
Hope you can give me some insight into this, thanks.Victoria

Offline Lici's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
sleeping on holiday
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 23:35:51 pm »
I always try to make as much the same as possible. I guess we are lucky because dd's blanky is her lovey so as long as we have that with us, we are able to get her to sleep wherever. So handy for when she goes to her Nanna's or cousin's for her nap.
Do you have a pack and play where you can put him in where he can't climb out of? Then you can firmly remind him that it is time to sleep, close the curtains and leave him knowing he can't escape.
I would hesitate to do the driving thing simply because that is getting into accidental parenting.... how long do you want to be doing that for just to get your lo to sleep?
I am a little more relaxed on holidays regarding bedtimes though, simply because the atmosphere is more exciting and there are lots of new things to explore - besides there is always the hope that later to bed translates to a sleep in  :wink: .
Emma
Mum to Lici (Felicity) 23 October 2002