Author Topic: When to go up to hungrier baby formula  (Read 2798 times)

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
When to go up to hungrier baby formula
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:22:39 am »
I wondered whether I should put my 9 wk old daughter on the next level feed.  She is currently taking between 4.5oz to 6oz every 3.5/4 hrs.

She has a feed at 10.30pm (5oz)goes to about 2.30/3am (4oz) and wakes at 5.30am where I put her on my chest and she goes back to sleep until 7am
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline hollyandchloesmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 13:08:18 pm »
Hi,

My experience of this is they should be a certain weight before they go on the hungry baby food.  I would get her weighed then ask the health visitor.  It can also cause constipation.  What I did with dd2 is the first bottle of the morning and last thing at night were the hungrier baby formula then the rest of the day was the first formula - told by health visitor and also my friend who is a health visitor.  We had no constipation issues.  As she is now on solids she only has one hungry baby formula of a night the rest is the first baby milk.

If you do switch to the hungry baby formula when they are established on solids you may need to switch back to the first formula as they can fill up on milk and not want the food.  This happened with dd1 and it was only when my health visitor friend was talking about dd2 going on it that I realised that is why she never weaned very well.

Hope it helps.
jane
dd1 - chloe 24.4.2
dd2 - holly 18.3.5

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 13:58:21 pm »
thanks for the info.  I will ask my hv when I go next week
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 18:42:06 pm »
I never ever went up to hungry baby formula and my understanding of it was to switch to it when your lo is taking full bottles (ie 8 or 9 ounces) of the first milk and is still looking for more. Your lo is not taking a huge amount of first milk yet in each bottle so in my opinion I dont think you need to worry about switching just yet.

It is supposed to help hold a very hungry baby off till they are old enough for weaning as the milk is supposed to make them feel fuller for longer on the same amount of milk. Your lo is still going a good while between feeds on the amount she currently has so again I wouldnt have thought you needed to change the milk you are using.

good luck whatever you decide

Seona

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 18:46:10 pm »
My daughter was very windy and i used omneo comfort its a bit thicker as well so seemed to fill her up im still using the first milk of that one
maybe ask HV