Author Topic: Seapration anxiety  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Elli

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Seapration anxiety
« on: August 20, 2005, 12:24:47 pm »
I have posted other messages about struggling to get my little 5 month old to settle but I am also having major problems settling her when she wakes in the night. She will wake after a feed. Around 1-2 hours. I know she is not hungry or dirty, and will not settle back down, i pick her up and she stops immediately sometimes, and if I do get her to sleep she rewakes within 1 hour. I think that the cot seems a bit big and it is making her feel insecure, she'll happily sleep in the bed with me, but I don't want this to become the rule. What can I do to make the cot seem less scary and to settle her quicker at night BEFORE she gets herself into a real state? :cry: I'm exhausted, and stuggling to stay patient and sticj with things....I can;t bear to hear her cry...

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
Seapration anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 14:07:04 pm »
Hi Elli,

I'm not too sure what to suggest.  Could she be waking after a feed because she has a burp?  Maybe try to burp her right after she eats at night.  Also, when she's in bed with you, is she on a tilt at all with her head higher than her feet?  If so, maybe tilt her crib mattress a bit.  Also it could be the inconsistency.  I think you have to put her in the crib all the time if you want her to sleep there.  So she learns to self-soothe, it takes time but eventually you lo will get better at it.

As for making her crib a bit nicer for her.  I don't have much to suggest because really you're not supposed to have crib bumpers and such for SIDS reasons.  Although I always give my lo a flannel blanket that she pull up to her face to cuddle.  One thing I did was put a felt like mattress cover under her fitted flannel sheet and I think this made it a bit more comfy.

Hope that helps, Tarri

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Seapration anxiety
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 18:33:34 pm »
Hi there,
I would agree with trying to tilt the matress a little. We weaned dd off her soother at around 4 months and I introduced a small rag doll in its place, to keep her company  :lol:  she loves it and often wakes plays with it for a few mins and then falls back to sleep, though at 5 months she would often sing and laugh for a while before going back to sleep. Is she swaddled? make sure covers are tight so she cant move around too much.
Fiona

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 01:16:45 am »
Good question... is she swaddled? How much does she move around at night? There are wedges that are sold that cradle baby on either side and make them feel "tucked in". They also have them on an incline for refluxing babies. If you are sometimes putting her in bed with you, you are creating a habit and she will more and more demand that. You could be becoming her sleep prop. How does she go to bed? Does she fall sleep on her own? Describe for us her bed time routine. Thanks!  :D
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)