Author Topic: how much cereal with baby food?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« on: August 22, 2005, 23:49:43 pm »
I just started my 6 month ds on baby food, he has already been eating rice cereal for about a month.  Question is, when do I give the cereal during the day?  So far, our routine looks as follows:

7 am - bottle, followed by rice cereal
11 am - baby food, followed by bottle
3 pm - bottle only
6:30 - 1/2 bottle, then baby food, then cereal, then rest of bottle (don't know why, but he likes getting some of his bottle first)
10 pm - df bottle

But is this too much to give him all at once at dinner?  Baby food, cereal, and a bottle?  I know they need the rice cereal, just not sure how much, and when the best time is to give it during the day.  Or if my schedule so far sounds about right. 

Thoughts?  Thanks!

BTW, I am giving solids first (except at breakfast and the 1/2 bottle at dinner) on the advice of my ped.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
how much cereal with baby food?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 12:25:43 pm »
As I understood it, by around 9-12 months, they should be eating about 1/2 cup of baby cereal a day, usually in the morning.  Once he starts eating meat, too, he'll have that at night instead of the cereal, for instance.  He doesn't seem to have an upset tummy after supper does he?  And he's still drinking enough formula?  Then I personally wouldn't change it - seems to be working for you! :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline klt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
how much cereal with baby food?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 10:23:53 am »
Tammy - I have the exact same feeding schedule with my lo of the same age and it seems to work fine too.  I was giving one tsp of cereal at breakfast and two or three at dinner but in the past couple of days she has been eager for more so I have upped the quantities a bit.  My ped also gave the same advice about order of milk/solids.  So I guess it's ok!