Author Topic: What type of formula to feed?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Hubbafer

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What type of formula to feed?
« on: August 24, 2005, 21:00:20 pm »
I'm currently breastfeeding and would like to introduce formula to my 3 month old (for emergency purposes if I don't have anything pumped for hubby, or out and about and hungry, etc). I don't pump milk too well, and it at times gets frustrating when we plan to go out, and I don't have a supply ready for our son to be fed on.

He was introduced to Similac at the hospital when he was born, as my milk didn't come in yet, and they were supplementing him (nurses). He didn't react to it, and took it very well.

Should I stick to this brand? What about iron levels (someone mentioned this to me....wasn't sure)?
"Lucas Francesco"
Born: May 23, 2005

Colleen

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 00:13:23 am »
Honestly, the only way to know is to try different brands and see how your baby does. As far as quality/nutrition, they are all about the same (including the cheaper generics that I used). Each one has a slightly different chemical mix -- I think it is Enfamil is structured to be composed more like breast milk and Similac is structured so the body treats it more like breast milk, or maybe I have them switched.

The bottom line -- Similac gave the hospital the free formula so mom's will say "my baby did fine on that so I better stick to it" when really they are all about the same. :) Other than milk based vs soy based vs hypoallergenic vs high calorie, babies who do well with one brand should do fine on any brand.

Offline me and bean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 04:41:21 am »
i just opened the similac samples, and he was fine with those.  but, i'll try a few as time goes on.
Susan -
mum to michael, aka bean!  april 1st, 2005
and cope, october 15th, 2007