Author Topic: Need help about when to put down for sleeps  (Read 1165 times)

Offline mommycarrie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
Need help about when to put down for sleeps
« on: August 25, 2005, 14:46:59 pm »
I have just started pu/pd and was wondering about something in the book.

I various places in the book it shows sleep times and eat times such as, for example (pg.230), e at 7/ a /s at 9 for 1.5 hrs and then e-10:30.

My question is if they are supposed to sleep for an hour and a half then shouldn't they go to bed earlier.......I can't find anywhere in the books about that.  Does anyone know????

please and thnk-you,
carrie

Offline heather10

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 21:37:00 pm »
I would advise against not following specific times in the book.  Follow your baby instead of the clock and let him dictate when it is time to go down.  It may be that the book is assuming a wake time of only an hour and maybe you are awake longer?   If you are needing to do pu/pd, I assume your child is crying once laid down - which may signal he is already too tired to settle on his own.  Perhaps try winding down after 45-60 mins and then trying for the 2 hour nap.  Personally, we are fighting 45 mn naps here so a 2 hour nap would be a dream in these parts! :)
Baby boy - Adam Sean - born June 6, 2005

Offline horseymum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 12:53:25 pm »
my son is 4.5 months old and we have only just seen an improvement in naps and sleeping after realising i was probably keeping him up too long.  he has never been a 3 hour clockwork baby and needs more feeds as the day goes on. his rough times are
7 feed
8/8.30 sleep
10 wake
11ish feed
12 sleep
2ish on a good day wake!
feed on waking
4pm ish feed
try to have another short sleep here if he is tired or woke early from lunch time nap
5pm ish drink of water if poss. or feed
play bath etc
6.15 ish feed
6.30 /7 bed
I don't know many people who can get feeds/naps etc all to synchronise to a 3 hour routine, I don't stress about it, i roughly know what is happening now, especially in the morning, it is usually late afternoon that goes pear-shaped! I hope you manage to find what works for you,it is nice to feel a bit more in control and have time to do some things now, my husband even commented that the house looks really tidy just now!

Offline horseymum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 12:56:53 pm »
forgot the main point was that now he is more rested there is very little crying when i put him down maybe 2/3 minutes, the only problem area at the moment is sometimes extending the lunch time nap.  The more sleep he gets the more he seems to enjoy it! he wakes up really happy now mostly! I was sceptical about the earlier bedtimes but even on the days he has missed late afternoon naps and we have put him down at 6 he has still slept really well!