Author Topic: Nearly 1 how much milk  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Pixie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Nearly 1 how much milk
« on: August 26, 2005, 09:04:17 am »
Hi there,

My ds is nearly 1 years old and he has completely gone off his milk - he'll drink 200 mls (I think 8oz) in the morning - throughout the morning. And then that is it. None in the afternoon and none in the evening. I thought maybe that we were feeding him to much food so I gave him half of what he usually eats at dinner last night and still not even a sip.

Is this usual - should I cut down his milk feed to 150ml. I am worried that he is not getting enough liquids. I give him his sippy cup of water throughout the day - leaving it in his reach but if has 25mls that is a lot...

what am I doing wrong?? I feed him a lot of yoghurt so maybe he is getting his dairy amount from that and I shouldn't worry.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kate

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Nearly 1 how much milk
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 10:15:03 am »
Hi Kate

At 12 months my DD was down to one bottle (well cup actually) of milk before bed. She got (and still gets) lots of other dairy in the day - yoghurts and cheese.

As long as you're getting the other dairy in I would say one bottle a day is fine, especially as you're already offering water. If he's thirsty, he'll drink.

HTH

love
Marie

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Nearly 1 how much milk
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 19:04:49 pm »
In the UK the minimum recommended milk from 1 year is 350mls (around 12 ounces) but I know the advice differs greatly depending on which country you live in. This minimum includes milk with cereal, milk in foods, dairy products (yoghurt/cheese, etc), etc so they dont have to take much milk as a drink any more.

My dd has a couple of ounces of milk to drink with her breakfast and a small cup of milk before bed (5/6 ounces) and that is all the milk she drinks. The rest of her intake is made up of the above substitutes.

I'm sure your lo is getting the nutrients he needs from the milk he does have and the yoghurts he is having as well.

Seona

Offline Pixie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 11:42:27 am »
Hi there,

Thank you so much for advice. My LO does have about 350mls a day - sometimes slightly less - but with a 150mls of yoghurt a day and some milk in his cereal I think I make the 350mls.

So thankyou for easing my worries.

Kate
xx