Author Topic: how much to dreamfeed?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline mom2juls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 26, 2005, 14:29:57 pm »
hi, i'm new to these boards and have gotten alot of great advise, thanks!
we have been having some success with our 2 month old daughter for the past few nights, 6-7 hours.  asleep between 8 and 8:30 and then up again for a feed at 3ish.  last night we tried a dreamfeed hoping that she would sleep a little later but she woke up more!  i fed her 2 oz at 10:30 and she woke at 1,3,5 and 7.  did i not give her enough?  should we skip the df tonight and see what happens?  i would appreciate any advice!  thanks.
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://b1.lilypie.com/5wjQm4[/img][/link]

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 14:38:38 pm »
And so I thought the same... it goes like this for 2 or 3 nights, and then something magical happens and suddenly they wonŽt wake up. Be sure to feed enough during the day and then silently feed at 10:30. If wakes up, put the pacifier and/or shush / pat. After a few nights both weŽll get used, the important thing is not to give up. Continue with the df, are you formula feeding? If that is so, 4 oz. is ok, mine has 3 oz and she is 3 mo. You should try giving the bottle and not burping, cause the minute you pull the nipple out it wonŽt go back in at all. I can tell that week 8 is quite difficult, and sometimes is an age issue so donŽt give up...

Offline heather10

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
how much to dreamfeed?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 17:03:47 pm »
You need to play with the amounts.  try offering more and seeing at what point SHE stops taking it - she will REALLY slow down.  My son is 11 weeks and has been taking 6 oz for about a month since 7 weeks.
Baby boy - Adam Sean - born June 6, 2005

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
how much to dreamfeed?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 00:42:53 am »
definitely is an individual thing - i say prepare a bottle same as you woudl for an earlier feed and let lo decide how much - the worst is when you prepare a smaller bottle and they drain it and you wish you had put a little more in it.

it took 2 weeks for us to see a change in night wakings and for some it has no effect  - it usually takes at least 3-5 days for most people.

for us - if we start taking the bottle out because we think she is done, we can often get her to start agai by just putting it on her lower lip and she will take it again, or it is almost a game - every time we start to pull it out a little, she pulls it back in and sucks for another bit and so on until we find that when we pull she lets it go and then it is done for.

also - the amount they take at DF can really vary from night to night so don't worry if some nights lo takes 2oz and another they take 5 oz.  it will obviously change as they get bigger and depends on how they fed in the day, etc
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified