Author Topic: Warm house affecting sleep?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline SEP's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 29, 2005, 14:25:54 pm »
Ever since the weather turned nice again my ds has only been having good nights only 33% of the time (meaning the majority are bad).  Our house can get quite warm.  We don't get a lot of cross breeze from his window, so we don't bother opening it (also to keep out noise).  We have a fan in his room, which we run all day long.  At night, we don't know whether to leave it ocilate (sp?) to occassionaly blow in his direction, or to have it blowing away from him or directly onto him, so we switch it up.  In weather like this we put him in a short sleeve short jumper.  Last night for example, he wasn't sweating, but his hands and head felt so hot.  I took his temperature and it didn't effect his core temperature.  But he woke up 5 times.  When he woke up he would either whimper or cry lightly and toss and turn with his eyes closed or would lie there lethargic like, totally calm, but just stare with big eyes.  Sometimes he would fall back asleep only to wake within a moment or two and this would happen repeatedly.  He just looked purely restless.  The one time he was up for 2 hours like that.  Other times it only lasts 15 minutes.   

Is the weather just coincidence?  Yesterday he didn't nap very well.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Any recommendations for dealing with this?

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Warm house affecting sleep?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 16:33:43 pm »
I'm in the same boat!  Yesterday my lo didnt go to sleep until 10:30 and I had put him down for 7:00!  I was in and out constantly and I breast fed him at 8:30 and then at 10:30!  I also gave tylonel, took his temperature, took him to the basement to cool off.  I had no idea what was making him so upset!  I had him sleeping in just a diaper.  Only after the 10:30 feed did he fall asleep at the breast!  I was so tired after spending the whole evening doing that.  I am hoping it was the weather and that tonight is not the same thing!  Good luck to you too.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 18:26:30 pm »
very likely that the warm weather is affecting sleep.  most babies sleep at night much better in a cooler room. 

if you don't have AC or don't want to turn it on i would get a good fan in there.  if your lo is in a room that gets lots of sunshine you may want to shade it a bit so it doesn't get as warm either.

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 81
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 18:34:48 pm »
When we had that hot spell here (30 + days of over 35 degrees celcius) we would give Hunter a tepid bath just before bed, put him to bed in just a diaper and put the fan on him from accross the room.  He'd still get up every once in a while at night.  We also tried the tylonol which helped with any teething he was going through.

Try a fan in the room and darkening the windows like the poster above mentioned.  Also, if you have a summer fan on your furnace, open a basement window at night and turn it on.  Turn it off again in the am.

HTH
Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07