Author Topic: Bumpers and Blankets....what to do?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Peach

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Bumpers and Blankets....what to do?
« on: August 29, 2005, 14:52:20 pm »
DD has recently started moving around in her crib at night, and most mornings we find her totally uncovered and lying crossways with her head right up against the crib bumper.  (I put her to bed half swaddled with only her arms out).

Question is, is it dangerous to keep the bumpers on the crib at this point?  If I take them off, wouldn't it hurt her to hit her head?  And how should I be covering her at night?  Blanket, swaddled?  It's still too warm for a gro-bag.  Maybe a sleep positioner?   :?

Kara

Offline matthewsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 89
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 15:00:04 pm »
My son would do the same thing.  WE had him in a crib, and moved the bumper, and hed wake up every hour cause hed hit his head with the bars, so....I asked the dr and he said it was ok to move  him to the pack and play (playpen)to sleep at night, and, problems solved, he started sleeping all night.  He still sleeps in it, and it helps that when we travel I can take his bed wiht him and he feels safer.  I know tat worked for me, you might want to look into it.  I know lots of people dont agree with where he sleeps, but as long as the dr says it wont hurt his back or him at all, Im fine with it. Good luck!!
Christie

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 18:21:27 pm »
hi there,

if you've never used a sleep positioner i probably wouldn't start with one now - just something else to get rid of later.

at this age there is so much developmental stuff - moving around in the bed is part of it.  i wouldn't stop the wrapping unless she is regularly breaking out of it every night & not crying about it.  when she outgrows the swaddle, i would just lay a blanket over her & dress her in pajamas with feet at night.  (maybe sleep sacks if you live in a cold place)

personally, i've always left the crib bumpers in & haven't had a problem yet. 

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 02:15:46 am »
To be on the safe side - take the bumpers out.  Your lo will not get hurt.  Mine never did and when he did start rolling around the bumps against the crib didnt bother him at all.  To cover, use a tight swaddle leaving arms out if your lo is learning to self soothe.  As he/she gets bigger keep swaddling if he/she allow you too or use a light receiving blanket.

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 02:30:41 am »
I wouldn't recommend a sleep positioner at this point either, since you'll just have to get rid of it when she learns how to turn over anyway!

I have personally left my crib bumpers in.  Our ds is now all over the crib, but at first, he used to love to smooch one side of his face up against the bumper, and used it to help keep his thumb in his mouth.  I have his crib bumpers tied really tight so they don't move.  I would rather him bump his head up against them then the crib slats.

JMO.