Author Topic: 5 month old night wakenings w/ a 2 year old  (Read 1220 times)

Offline plamb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old night wakenings w/ a 2 year old
« on: August 30, 2005, 19:43:54 pm »
My near 5 mo old daughter still wakes constantly. (She never has slept longer than a 4 hour stretch and that is a rare occurrance). I tried subing a paci for nursing/oral stimulation and she 9/10 times cries and I end up feeding her. Waking 2-3 times to eat and more during 4-6am, I try to pat to calm with no luck, and hope to not wake my 25 month old in the next room. Both girls have white noise blaring to mask eachother's noise but at 5 months and a baby eating 2-3 hours (now supplementing formula too) can she really be hungry at night? She eats well when at all feedings! She's nearly 16lbs and though I hate the paci habit (she wouldn't take one until 4 weks ago) she seems to root continually for it when she wakes. She'll let me remove it when she's sleeping half the time if I hold her chin up but I can't discern hunger vs. sucking needs and how long to let her fuss vs. full cry... now I have an unhappy AND wide awake baby and maybe an awake toddler too!! Help!
Full-time mom of 2 great girls

Offline luv2savelives

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 19:11:59 pm »
Sounds all too familiar. I feel your pain. I too have the 2 noise machines blaring. I didn't do EASY with #1 but planned to stick to it with#2-no nursing to sleep, no noise machines, etc. But when #2 came along, I wouldn't do it for fear if she cried a bit she would wake #1.  Eight months into it, I have realized that it takes a lot to wake #1. Recently #2 has been screaming bloody murder at 5 am when she wakes because I won't nurse her. Instead I rock her but she still gets mad. And through all of it, #1 sleeps. And they are right next door to each other. So I would say, don't change what you want to do for #2 just because you're afraid #1 will wake.

Just wondering, have you started solids yet? Perhaps if not she is ready for the extra calories in the day to get her through. Another thing I am trying now is to reduce the time I nurse her (when I DO give in and nurse her). B/C even though she may not need the calories, the habit of being fed at 5a has trained her to get hungry at that time. Just as you or I will get hungry at lunch time, ect. So slowly decreasing the amount your lo takes in may help. I just started this this week so we can go through it together! Another idea I've heard is to try a water bottle. Something to soothe the tummy without the calories so her body stops expecting calories at night. All this was from a book I read this week. Hoping it works as I am soooo tired. #1 started sleeping better at 8 mos so I am hoping #2 will too. Let me know how things go and perhaps we can help each other. GOOD LUCK!

Offline plamb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 19:32:35 pm »
Thanks, luv2savelives (what does that mean? organ donation? medical personnel?).
Last night was bad- every 1- 1/2 hours waking- but hubby got up a few times and retrieved the paci (I love it and curse it- she wouldn't take it until about 4 mos old, and she stopped taking a bottle at 5 weeks and just began again 2weeks ago so we've had a lot of 'progress' and changes and she'll be 5 mos on the 3rd). I, too, was just reading about doing the water substitute- the book I read said to do it as a last resort if hubby can't calm the baby to sleep. My dr suggested it too for dropping feeds (Julia is getting 2-3 feeds per night and still nursing every 2-3 hours thru the day~ though I just added formula in 1 weeks ago to supplement my volume for the little munchkin). The Baby Whisperer says just to use the paci- it hasn't worked for ME to do it and I've given it +20 mintes of crying/whimpering to get her to go back & I'm with her the whole time. But it makes sense that daddy do those feeding breaks- weekends sound ideal- so baby can't smell mommy. I tried lastnight to "break" a feed with the paci and rocking (I know, rocking is a prop but I figure break the feed first then hopefully when she is a self soother, the rest will fall into place) and I wore a heavy T-shirt as I read somewhere else to mask my smell to her... she didn't buy that!! So, she won and I nursed her.
Tonight I'll have hubby try the wakings w/ the paci then water and check in tomorrow. I know waking doesn't sound fun for him but I know he feels bad for me ans he's golfing tomorrow and not up early (tho my 2 y/o rises by 6:30 and he gets up with her) so maybe we can get a head start on the weekend.
Daughter #1 slept well around 4 mos with 1 waking, if I recall. I did EASY with her and she is a great sleeper to this day.
Sorry ths took so long to write- I've been on paci patrol trying to get #2 to take her 2nd nap today. I put her on her side and removing it with her hands over it is near impossible so she's had it in and keeps dropping it. Am I insane??!
Good luck. Let's see how the water works!
Full-time mom of 2 great girls