Author Topic: Questions about Thrush...  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Tru's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Questions about Thrush...
« on: August 30, 2005, 21:51:54 pm »
My 5 mo. has thrush and he's on oral nystatin for it and I've got some Nystatin cream for his diaper changes and for me.  It seems to be going away becaue the spot on me is clearing up some, but it's not gone entirely.  In fact, I missed a few doses of oral Nystatin a few times, so perhaps it's back with vigor.  Lack of sleep and chasing a 2.5 yo. around is making me so forgetful.

Anyhow, my 5 mo. is just not right. Restless, short naps (gone from 45's to 30's), hard to wind-down, won't even settle in the swing and is making a wierd noise with his mouth closed that is not really his mantra fussing.  I'm wondering if the thrush is painful or uncomfortable for him.  I know it is for me when he nurses.  He's eating fine and is taking his cereal better the last few days.

Then again, he could be starting to teethe, and if he's like ds#1, it'll be a long, slow, painful process...for both of us!

SHould I get the GV stuff for his mouth as well?

Thanks!
Tru & Rowan's Mommy

Offline butterfly524

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 22:41:58 pm »
my 2 weeker is just getting over thrush and it definately was uncomfortable for her.  i dont doubt the changes in your little one are thrush related.  good luck =)

rebecca, mom to juliet rose
rebecca,
mom to juliet rose
born august 12, 2005

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 00:31:34 am »
As far as I understand, Gentian Violet is not harmful at all (although rather messy :roll: ), and it does wonders for clearing up thrush.  If you're suspecting thrush is still a problem at all, I'd advise using it, painting both your nipples and the inside of his mouth.  Can't hurt, and may very well help!  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 00:42:22 am »
Hello.  The following is a good website.

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Also, see the posts at the begining of the breastfeeding forum for tips on beating thrush.  The info from the above website is posted in there too.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th