Author Topic: When its ok to leave them.....crying question  (Read 1262 times)

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
When its ok to leave them.....crying question
« on: September 05, 2005, 07:21:01 am »
Tracey says you shouldnt leave a baby to cry for any length of time but what about when there calling out to you but its still not an all out cry? Do i/can i ignore to see if they settle? My DS will let out a really loud AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH then it will go quiet for a couple of seconds before he does it again - it sounds pretty urgent but the fact that hes quiet inbetween suggests its a fake cry.
Any suggestions/advice? Im not sure weather to go in and try to settle or leave him be.
Hana.xx

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 19:11:41 pm »
Is it different than her "hysterical" cry? is she a "crier"? Some babies are not as loud as others.

It also depends on the age. When ds was about 4/5 months he'd do this "high whine" (a lot like you're describing) at the 50 min mark of his nap. It was on and off. I tried letting him go for 10 minutes and it turned out to go to sleep again. He did it for a few weeks (for each nap) and then suddenly stopped. IT was like Mantra Cry, some noise he used to self soothe (it did NOT seem soothing to me AT ALL :roll: ) but I could tell he didn't need my help at all (even though the times I came in, he received me happily).

I'd say just watch her, establish a time mark (say 10, 15 min) and observe him from outside her room to see what she does: does she seem upset? umconfortble? are her eyes opened or closed? how long has she been sleeping before this happens?

Tracy claims not to leave a child cry out alone but for fussy cries, I think it's OK as long as the crying does not escalate.

HTH!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 20:18:02 pm »
Quote (selected)
Is it different than her "hysterical" cry? is she a "crier"? Some babies are not as loud as others

Oh yeh its definately not a hysterical cry, sounds likes hes calling me in his own little way...its v loud tho !  Its like hes shouting AGGGHH not crying it if that makes sence??
I have tried leaving it, sometimes he settles other times it gets louder and louder but im not sure if i should go in anyway or just ignore.  Its tricky, i guess you just have to use your own instincts at the end of the day but i do have to stop myself from running to check whats going on when hes just stirring  :roll:
As he was prem and had bad reflux (choked ALLOT) its hard to stop running to him when he makes a little noise  :oops:
I havnt observed him, he tends to wake more if theres even soft light in the room but i will try it.!
Thanks for your help  :)
Hana.xx

Offline nicky37

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 16:04:31 pm »
Hi

I had the same dilemma, Evie was about 4 weeks and I was sure she wasn't crying for any other reason than she was either wanting attention or over tired so I left her to cry.

I only ever leave her for 20 mins max (she is now 8 weeks), I normally go in after 10 to check her swaddle and she always sends herself off within this time.

We have been out at a post natal group today and had injections so she has hardly slept which has resulted in real over tiredness, it has just taken almost an hour for her to sleep, she would yell for 10 mins spurts then go quiet but as you say more hello I am here shout than an all out wail!!

Nicky x