Author Topic: Bedtime routines for toddlers  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Oscar

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Bedtime routines for toddlers
« on: September 10, 2005, 16:59:29 pm »
My dd is 2.5 and still wakes up very wet in the morning, so wet that her diaper will leak. She does drink a lot, but I do know that alot of toddlers at this aged are staying dry through the night.

Are bedtime routine looks like this.
We eat dinner around 6pm with a small drink, at 7pm she drinks a sippy cup of milk and by 8pm she will have brushed her teeth and be ready for a story in bed.

Am I giving her to much to drink, or is this normal for this age?

Offline Maximum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 22:21:42 pm »
I cannot offer any advice on this one as my also 2.5 year has about the same routine as yours and also wakes up super wet in the morning. He is potty trained in the day except for naps and nighttime but am wondering if I need to do something to help wake up dry  or whether it will just happen "naturally".

I do have a friend whose 2.5yo dd is a milk fiend and just this week started waking up dry...

Sorry to have no advice :( .
Kate and Max (2-8-03)

Offline ethansmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 22:30:13 pm »
I don't know if this is too much or not (it sounds almost exactly like our routine) but my ds is always soaking in the morning as well. He does also drink a lot during the day.  I'm not bother just now cause he's not quite ready for potty training - I take it that's why your asking?

When he's ready I want to move his milk to earlier in the evening and then just give him a small drink of water if he wants something before bed. I hope that's right - maybe someone else can help with that.

I would assume that the only way to stop her being so wet in the morning (if your wanting to change it) is to reduce what she drinks late in the evening.
Deanna

Heather

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 22:46:25 pm »
If it's any consolation, both of my boys are not big drinkers and they both still wake up wet.  They are 2yrs and almost 4yrs.  The oldest one is potty trained in the day.  I don't know if it so much to do with how much they drink during the day (and evening) as it is whether they are aware enough while sleeping when their body is telling them that they need to pee.  An example would be my nephew, who is the same age as my oldest child.  He goes to bed with a sippy cup of water BUT wakes in the middle of the night and goes pee, then sleeps till morning.  He wakes up dry.

Are you potty training her??  You might want to try lessening her drink portions during the day if you really think it's too much (like decrease each drink she gets by 1/4 or something like that) and see if it makes a difference, or you might want to just try a larger size diaper for nights for now.

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 05:13:40 am »
Hi Oscar!  Thought I would throw my 2 cents in in case you are asking for potty training reasons...

Just pt'd DS1 2 weeks ago.  (and it way sooo much easier and faster than I thougt!)  We didn't do nap/bed training, just daytime.  He wakes up soaked too, and we just started using a diaper one size up to help handle any leaks.  I don't feel like we were necessarily giving him a ton to drink at night, like others said here.

BUT, now that he is pt'd by day, he has started to not pee in his diaper at night, but instead wakes at 5am!!!! to tell me he has to go pee pee.  Then, we NEVER go back to sleep after that.  I suspect that is the time that he normally peed in his diaper and now that he knows the sensation, he wakes up.  Sometimes he still goes in the diaper, but the 5am wakings sitll happen.  If anyone can help me wtih THAT crazy thing, let me know. 

Good luck!
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy

Offline Maximum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 15:12:00 pm »
Hi Nate's mommy!
Just wanted to let you know that when Max started the potty training process, he took to it super well in the day but started waking at all hours of  night to tell us when he had to go pee-pee...I simply calmy told him that he was in a diaper and it was okay to pee in it and left the room. It happened on and off for a week or so and then stopped. Don't know if that helps at all but remaining consistent and calm, especially in the middle of the night I think helped.

HTH!
Kate and Max (2-8-03)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 23:41:10 pm »
I hear that you're not supposed to give them too much to drink after around 6 pm if you want them to start staying dry...however with that said, dd has milk at around 6 or 6:30 and still wakes up soaking wet.  We're potty training during the day and just waiting until she figures out the night time on her own.  I really think it just has to do with them recognizing the need to pee and waking up to tell us and then learning to go back to bed.  I know some kids can't hold it all night, but they will pee and go back to sleep.  That's what I'm hoping for somewhere down the road anyway...