Author Topic: Articles on healthy food choices?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Maximum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Articles on healthy food choices?
« on: September 10, 2005, 23:13:01 pm »
I was just reading through the thread on healthy food for toddlers and was wondering if someone would post a few comprehensive articles about healthy food choices, trans fat info, and whatnot...

In our household, we also eat very healthy. lots of organic  (but do partake in ice cream--those little toffuttis from Trader Joes are the BEST!!!) but we are having a bit of a problem with Max's babysitter. In all other areas, she is fabulous, loves ds to death, etc. but the eating habits of her family are well, very mainstream American. Max has NEVER eaten at a fast food restaurant as dh and I do not eat that food but goes about once a week with the babysitter. I do send food every morning but really, when the babysitter's teenagaers are chowing down on Doritos or eating chocolate muffins for breakfast (!!) I can't convince him that his blueberries or his flaxseed/soy chips are a healthier alternative for him!!!

I have mentioned several times that their family should rent "SuperSize Me", have even gone so far as to lie and tell her the pedi. has said no more juice boxes because he gets canker sores (he had one in the summer and i am very prone to them too) but really, short of saying I think that your family eats like "c*&p and don't want ds to follow suit, I feel it is a bit out of my control. As I mentioned earlier, she is fabulous in all other ways...so I thought if I had her read up on a few things, she may make some changes??

Sorry so long winded...
TIA
Kate and Max (2-8-03)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Articles on healthy food choices?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 17:26:58 pm »
To be honest with you, even though you like your babysitter, I don't think I'd let her get away with that. Your ds is YOUR son, and therefore, you should have control over what he eats until he can make decisions himself. Have you spoken to her about your concerns? If you have, and she is not taking any notice, are you sure she's all she's cracked up to be in other areas?

Sorry to sound melodramatic, but it doesn't sound to me like she has much respect for you as his mother.

JMHO,
Caroline

BTW http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_childrenlunchbox.shtml looked quite good.
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston