Author Topic: I need advice ASAP please  (Read 1300 times)

Offline mommycarrie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
I need advice ASAP please
« on: September 11, 2005, 04:29:03 am »
I am nowhere near catching up on all of this thread, but I must ask you all a question.  I don't have the time at the moment to search through the thread for the answer to this so I hope someone can help.....either to advise or at least show me where to look.

Rylan is a textbook baby and (really) all of a sudden has been acting up/wierd at bedtimes.  This is night number 4 and I don't know what to do.  At some time between 8 and 10, he will wake up crying (more than once) as if he is in extreme pain.  I check him over and as long as I hold him and hum or shh he calms down.  When I lay him down, it's a battle to keep him there and get past stage 2 sleep.  When he does drift off finally, it doesn't last.  Sometimes he wakes after the cycle (45min) and other times sooner.

I tried pu/pd a few weeks ago and failed....it only made him very miserable (and me too).  He has been doing much better except for these past 4 nights (it's been a week since I stopped pu/pd).  I don't know if pu/pd had anything to do with this or if it's something else.  He has never done this before.  The thought of a growth spurt and even teething has crossed my mind but don't know for sure.  I've checked his mouth...nothing red or swollen and no tempurature.  I tried a couple of times to feed at 3.5 but it turns into snacking by the end of the day (we're on 4hr easy).

I am sooooooooooooo lost.  Is anyone else's lo's experiencing abnormalities in thier routine?  I spoke with a friend back home and her 2 year old has been waking up and whining during the same time frame....is this just coincidence?

PLEASE.....ANYONE???  It makes me so sad  :cry:  :cry: and I don't know how to help him if I don't know what the problem is.

Oh, naps during day are good.  A few 45's and one long one.  Generally wakes without crying, but he has his moments.

Carrie :(

Offline Kaitlynsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 05:05:16 am »
No real advice for you, just hugs. I vaguely remember DD went through a similar phase and I would spend hours in the evening settling her. It did get better - and she was a brilliant sleeper from day 1.

Have you thought about sitting in the same room as DS until he's asleep - no eye contact, no sound, just sitting. Over a few nights you move further away from the cot until you are out of the door. You have to be strong not to pick up, and you'd have to read more about it, but I've seen it done and it does seem to re-establish a good sleep routine.

Good luck!
Kaitlyn - 25.4.04
Will - 7.6.05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 10:28:57 am »
in the latest book i remember tracy saying that nothing happens "all of a sudden" without a clear cause - we just have to figure out what happened to cause the change.

first - you mentioned he was textbook- just wondering what prompted you to try PU/PD?  what was going on and for how long, etc?

second - what happened on the day of the first night this happened? can you remember if anything went on - any changes in your routine? new carer/babysitter? busier than normal?  anything?? what time is he going to bed and what does his day look like.

the few times we have had this in our house have been teething (dd1) or what we figure were nightmares (dd2) and were easily calmed and resettled (usually) once they are cuddled and soothed.

let me know about any changes going on and i will see what we can figure out if we play detective  :wink:  I will see if i can find or think of anythign else it can be or questions to ask you.  the good thing about textbook babies is they are easier to figure out once you ask the right question - just need to read the textbook  :wink:
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 16:57:39 pm »
Carrie,

My lo also did this a while back. I think it was teething. I noticed (after the fact) that she had been drooling alot and was chewing on EVERYTHING.

I stuck to our 4 hr EASY schedule, with "busy" awake time such as her jumper, walker, etc. A friend of mine mentioned that when they are teething, they can be distracted from the pain during their awake times but when you lay them down to sleep and they are resting, they are more aware that they are uncomfortable. Just a thought.

Anyways, it stopped after 6 days and 5 long nights. On the 6th night, it was back to normal. Guess who was laying awake waiting for her to get up?  :roll:

Hope this picks you up a bit. Remember, this too, shall pass... we hope quickly. :wink:
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline mommycarrie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My boys!!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 18:30:06 pm »
I have been searching for my own post for 15 minutes now :roll:  because when I was writing in desperation last night I didn't realize that I created a new post :shock: and I thought I was replying to the 'april/may 05' one :roll:

I will post there also if that's allowed :oops:

Just to reply to those who have seen this already...

Kaitlynsmum, I have been doing that.  Sometimes it works and sometimes not (when he so worked up/overtired)

Debinoz, I know about the 'all of a sudden' thing in the book, but nothing was different.  I've been keeping track of his sleep patterns (i track from midnight to mid) since Sept.1 and here is what happened on the 7th (the first day of):
(4hrs 8p-12a on 6th)
12am-6:30  (10.5hrs night)
8:15 - 9:45 (1.5)
11:30 - 12:15 (45min)
1:15 - 3:30 (2.25)
5:40 - 6:25 (45min)
(naps = 5.5 hours)
bed at 7:25 and woke crying at 8:15 (45m)
settled at 9:40 (gave breast at 9,ate little--was thinking g/s & then d/f)
*whimpered again at 12:15am

The same kind of pattern has been going on since.  I havn't been tracking the E or A cuz it's been falling in line with the 4hr routine.  On the 8th his nap time was 4.5 hrs---the 9th was 3.75 (went to bed early)---and the 10th was 3hrs.  Altought the naps vary, the 12:15 whimper is regular :?

I started pu/pd to extend his 45minute naps and rid him of the paci.  The paci is gone and he could care less about it...likes his hands more.  I can't believe he is 4 months and I can't figure him out :oops: I feel so bad :oops:

Arwyn's mom, if it's teething I wouldn't mind as much cuz I'd know then that it would go away.  I hope it doesn't go on for too long though--I hate to see him that way :(

Thanx,
Carrie