Author Topic: trans fats in milk....  (Read 1327 times)

Offline mary-ellen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 12, 2005, 18:12:59 pm »
Hi all, I was wondering with all the stuff in the news about trans fats being so horrible should I be giving my LO milk with trans fats in it?? I read that they are naturally occuring in cows milk. All the 3% milk here (Quebec) contain trans fats. I figure she is drinking close to a gram a day of it. Anyone know if there is a difference between naturally occuring trans fats and the ones say from hydronated oils? I never give her any other foods that contain trans fats like crackers or cookies, so it bothers me to be giving her milk that contains it. I'd love to hear any opinions on the subject. Thanks  :)

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
trans fats in milk....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 18:34:57 pm »
Hi Mary ellen,

I'm afraid that i don't have that much knowledge on trans fat, but i have always given my DD organic milk, as it has a lot less crap put into it and also healthier...

I'm sure you will get some other responses with ideas..

HTH  :D
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
trans fats in milk....
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 16:34:27 pm »
I haven't heard anything about trans fats in milk; I thought all trans fats were man-made by hydrogenation.  I think you don't need to worry too much, but I'd love it if you could tell me where you got the info about trans fats in milk.

I also give my girl (and myself and DH) only organic milk.  Pesticides from grains concentrate in animal fat, so it's especially important with whole milk.  I also am concerned about the growth hormones used in milk production, so for me, organic dairy only.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline mary-ellen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 23:23:46 pm »
Hi Sabrina,
  it says on the nutritional label on the milk cartons here in Quebec, that for each 250ml theres .02 grams of trans fats. I went on the health Cananda website to find out more, where I read that trans fats can be naturally occuring, and are found naturally in the milk of cows and goats. I was very surprised, I also thought they were man made. I've bought her organic milk and am not entirely sure that the cows are free of hormones,antibiotics and such. All it said on the label was that the cows ate feed that was organic.Does the milk you buy say they the cows are free of all that stuff? Where I live I only have one brand that makes organic milk...the name escapes me. It didn't say anything about trans fats on the label, but if they can occur naturally then my guess is they contain trans fats.  I meant to call the company but threw out the carton. If you have any info I'd love to hear it.

Offline mary-ellen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 00:02:51 am »
Me again, its .2 grams of trans fats per 250ml not .02.