Author Topic: Loves to watch me eat  (Read 1536 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Loves to watch me eat
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:49:32 am »
I have read a couple of the other recent posts about when to start solids, and it seems to me like most of the babies are ready.  They are hungrier, and big and ready.  I'm jealous.  I want to start trying to feed solids, but dd is just about 14 pounds and she only eats btw 24 & 28oz.  So I have to wait at least a few more weeks, if not till 6 months.  The pediatrician told us we can wait till 6m, especially since she's not eating a whole lot.  But it's funny because she loves to watch me eat.  I don't think it's that she wants food, it's just she likes to watch me chew.  I had heard that when they start watching you eat, that they are ready.  Did anyone else's baby like to watch you eat, and then take to solids?  We had to give her apple prune juice for a couple days for constipation, and she hated that.  We even tried straight apple juice and she hated it too.  I thought all kids loved juice.

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Loves to watch me eat
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 03:25:46 am »
You have to remember that bm or formula is the only thing that baby has eaten... ever.  So they won't necessarily 'like' anything else you give them for the first time.  I've read that it takes up to 10-15 times of introducing something before they can actually like it (that includes toddlers).  So when you first start to give her solids, be patient (and make sure to have a bib and a washcloth on hand ;-)).

As you already know, babies don't understand what 'eating' is.  I have been in the same boat.  Since DS was 4 mo, he watched in amazement when I ate in front of him.  At first, it sort of put me off because I felt as if I was eating and letting my own child watch hungrily, even though I knew he had no clue what was going on.  He was just trying to understand what was going on (can you imagine what it would be like to see something like that for the first time?).

Your DD watching you eat is only the first step in introducing her to eating.  Be a little patient.  :wink:  She will be old enough to eat before you know it (and you'll long for the days when she was that tiny).  For now, introduce her to the concept of eating alone and as a family with DH.  If anything, maybe you can give her some formula in her bottle while you're eating (if it's possible?).
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Loves to watch me eat
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 21:02:40 pm »
That's a good idea about feeding her while we are eating.  We do that sometimes around dinner time, and she watches DH eat.  I know I'm not being patient, it's one virtue I was not blessed with.  It will happen soon enough I'm sure.  I just made her 6month checkup appt. today, and it's Nov. 16th.  To me that seems so far away, then I remembered it's almost the end of September!  Time flies when you can't watch TV or leave the house, LOL.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Loves to watch me eat
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 21:20:25 pm »
Honestly introducing solids is on almightly pain in the @ss. Once you start until they are 12mo you are feeding solids + milk so you feel like all you are doing is feeding... the longer you wait the better not just for your baby's immunity & digestion, but for your time. You go out somewhere & you give the milk feed & wait a while & then give solids, right now it is one stop to give the milk & that is it.
My ds is very very big (20lb & 4mo) & he is going to be waiting until 6mo (or longer if I can) before he tastes anything other than bm.
Honestly Hun, giving solids is just one big mess... give your lo a plastic spoon to play with & when you do start solids you are a little bit further along.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
Loves to watch me eat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 22:24:47 pm »
Kate, 20 lbs at 4 months?!  How big was he when he was born?  Wow, you've got a big, healthy baby!!   :D  :D

(I've been trying to plump my little guy up but he's getting longer/taller faster than he's getting plumper.)

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
Loves to watch me eat
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 22:37:11 pm »
Georgia, he was 10lb 4oz born & 57.5 cm (think that is 23 inches) he is now almost 28inches long (if I got the conversion right), so big all around.
My first was that big too (although just under 9lb born)... I just have very good Breastmilk, as they are/were both exclusively bf
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Loves to watch me eat
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 19:44:30 pm »
You know what, you're right!  It's a big pain in the arse :D just to get her to hold still to take a full bottle.  So I bet it won't be a quick or fun experience doing the solids thing.  Plus, she isn't eating the 32oz of formula that she has to in order to start solids.  Maybe she won't end up eating that much till later then six months.  Unless she has a huge change in appetite.  I think I just want her to start hitting some milestones, and that's more what I'm impatient for.  She's 4months and has only rolled over from tummy to back 3x.  She doing a lot of little things, but I'm anxious for the crawling, sitting, walking stuff.  I guess I figured feeding solids was the first step to it.  But hopefully she'll be doing more things by six months, with or without food.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
Loves to watch me eat
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 21:05:59 pm »
Don't worry about the milestones, my ds#1 didn't roll either way until about 6mo (he sat up at that age) he didn't crawl until 10.5mo & that was great, because by then he understood no & I have had it easy with him not going where he shouldn't... he walked at 14.5mo! so fairly slow on those areas, but now at almost 26mo his speech & fine motor skills are those of a 3yo... if she isn't developing so fast physically, you can bet she is probably doing well in another area!!! As a second time mum, Enjoy the moments, for reasons beyond my control I missed many moments in my ds#1 early life & it isn't the same playing catch up with the second... don't wish away these wonderful months of her doing things at her pace! :D, cos you can NEVER have then back
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
Loves to watch me eat
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 22:37:31 pm »
Well put, Kate.  I was going to say the same thing (except you worded it better). ;-)

Sometimes I'm anxious for DS to start crawling because he really wants to go "there" and "over there" and I'm his main mode of transportation now.   :lol:  But I quickly realize that, when he finally does crawl, I'll be longing for the times when he wasn't quite so mobile so instead I sit back and admire what he can do now (and how cute and small he still is *lol*).

Still, you can't blame us first-time mommies!  :-) :-)