Author Topic: Chicken  (Read 2651 times)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Chicken
« on: September 23, 2005, 14:52:51 pm »
How do I puree my own chicken?  I have some already cooked, and I thought I would offer it to dd.  What do I put with it to mush it up? TIA

EDITED WITH ANOTHER QUESTION:
While pureeing (is that a word?) the chicken, can I add cooked veggies and make it a meal?  If so, do I need to use fresh veggies, or can I used canned with no salt?  Isn't salt supposed to be monitored?  Then, can I freeze this into cubes and if so, how long can it be kept, and how do you thaw it?  Sorry for the ignorance, but I never educated myself because I had planned to buy jarred foods until I read that they can be disgusting.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline N Lou

• Showing Appreciation 64
Chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 14:58:59 pm »
I always just pureed it up with milk or water until it gets to the consistency that you want!

Is that what you meant? or did you mean other ingredients?
Nina Lou

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Chicken
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 15:00:35 pm »
That's what I meant.  I didn't know it was that simple.  Thanks!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Chicken
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 23:31:12 pm »
and Heather you can do a "meal" all in one go so you cook chicken/fish/meat + veg of choice (if tinned you don't need to cook it just toss in with food in blender/processor) + liquid (as get older can be tomato based like a pasta sauce...) and whizz to puree consistency (soon you will do to lumpy texture).  i then measured it out in ice cube tray or in small tupperware containers in portion size.  to thaw and serve either 1) put in microwave or 2) defrost in fridge for a while and then when you can break it up you can heat in a pan on stove or 3) to thaw you can immerse the container in warm water in a bowl if you don't have a microwave

the thing about the jarred babyfood with meats is that they have lots of fillers (unless you find a better brand/product and you give it a chance) and they only have a small amount of actual meat. the smell of the ones here is just horrendous - we have some great veggie ones but the meat ones are nasty!! i once bought alex a jar of a tuna pasta meal and it was like wallpaper paste - i looked closer at the jar and i could not even bring myself to serve it to her  :lol:  blech!

i suggest you go online or get a good baby recipe book if you want to come up with good ideas for the next 4-6 mo...
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Chicken
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 19:52:05 pm »
yes I did the same, cooked the chicken, then put it in the food processor and added water till i had quite a runny consitency. Looks absolutely foul!!!!

I made a chicken casserole once, by putting a chicken breast in large chunks, and loads of seasonal veggies in a casserole dish with some water. Cooked it for about 45 mins i think, till the chicken was cooked and veggies very soft. then pureed the whole thing water and all. Got loads of meals out of that with little effort at all. Great thing about it was you can do it again and again varying the veggies and getting lumpier each time.

I froze this into cubes and  small tupperware boxes.

I deforst in the microwave on defrost or over night in the fridge.

I think you can keep frozen stuff for three months safely?
Kimberley

Offline Dina

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Chicken Recipies
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 20:55:19 pm »
I first introduced chicken with another of my sons favorite veg - carrotts.  Just boil the chicken with their favorite veggies (out of 70% veg and 30% chicken) - I think its best to increase the amount of chicken as she gets used to the taste and texture. 

Boil it up until cooked and veggies are tender, and blend in a food blender/processor.

These are the combinations I use for my 7 mth old:

- Chicken and Butternut Squash (boiled together)
- Chicken and carrots (and other veg if preferred like potatos) (all boiled with half an onion kept whole only to flavor the water and a few pinches of celery leafs for flavouring the water) take out the chicken and carrots (and other veg) but leave the celery leafs and onion out.  Blend together with the stock produced.  (Try to cook the chicken with the bone on - it somehow has more vitamins and is good for them when they have a cold/flu.)
-Chicken and pasta in a carbonara sauce - I tried this out when I was making some pasta for us, and thought that baby would like this - and he did !  I cheated and used ready to use carbonara pasta sauce (checked the ingridients first for preservatives/colourings etc), mix with some cooked chicken and some ham pieces with some cooked pasta and blend in a processor until smooth - add more water and less pasta to make it less stodgy.

Hope this helps.
A Very Spirited Aries Boy
Born: 24th March 2005