Author Topic: baby is 3 months old and won't sleep  (Read 1498 times)

Offline zofia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 24, 2005, 22:35:55 pm »
Hi there all my baby turned 3 months old yesterday and won't sleep i'm so tired and starting to get really snappy at everyone.
she has 2 sleeps in day time but there only for about 30min.
about 4:30pm she has a bath for about 30min then at 5:30 she has bottle and goes to sleep she then wakes up at 12am and then from here on it goes down hill she then wakes again at 2:30am and won't go back to sleep till around 4am then she sleeps till 5am and then is awake till about 9 am when i put her back to bed as she is so grumpy. i don't pick her up from her cot when she is awake i change her nappy and stuff in cot as i try not to wake her up fully. she used to sleep from 5.30pm to 5.30am.
what am i doin wrong.

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
baby is 3 months old and won't sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 01:55:18 am »
Just curious... do you want her to wake up at 5:30 AM?  I know some people are morning people and that's fine.  I just want to make sure I know how to advise you.

Babies have a growth spurt at 3 months of age that completely throws them off.  If you didn't have a routine before the 3 months, it's that much worse from that point on.  So you want to get your baby on a routine.  Tracy's routine is EASY:  Eat (after they wake up), Activity (after they eat), Sleep (after they get tired from their activity).  You should be sure you're doing this now.  Once your baby gets used to it, she'll know what to expect.  Also, if your baby is used to eating to sleep (I'm assuming she's formula fed) then you may need to wean her of this.

I'm not sure if you've read any of the Baby Whisperer books.  If you have, let me know what else you need help with and I can give you some direction.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline zofia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 03:52:45 am »
k i don't want her to wake at 5:30am but she was sleeping from 5:30pm to 5.30am which was good but now its 5:30pm to 12:30PM then waking up at around 2.30am and not settling till around 3:30am to 4am then sleeping till around 5am then not going back to bed till around 9am.
I'm not doing this i ( Eat (after they wake up), Activity (after they eat), Sleep (after they get tired from their activity). i been going this way Activity (when she wakes) (Eat) when she is tired (Sleep) after she eats i been doing it this way the whole time. maybe thats the problem. baby is formula feed and goes to sleep eating

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 03:56:53 am »
That could definitely be a major factor.  Babies that are used to that don't know how to fall asleep on their own.  They want a full belly as they fall asleep so, if they wake up in the middle of the night, they want to eat in order to fall asleep.  They are very grouchy little people then.   :wink:

It also sort of seems as if she may be mistaking night for day.  What do her naps during the day look like?  How long, how many, and when?

Offline zofia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 04:36:46 am »
has to day naps for about 30min to 45 min.  K i now am going to try easy as i'll give anything ago as long as it works a, also looking at buying the book but live in australia and am having trouble trying to find it. so she has woken up i've given her a bottle and now she is playing how long should she play for? or do i just look for tired signs? also when i put her to bed do i just wrap her and give her the dummy and let her put herself to sleep? how long will it take for her to get into a retouine.

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 03:13:47 am »
It depends on the baby how long it'll take her to get into a routine, but it shouldn't be too long.  Usually a routine creates positive changes pretty qiuckly as they like knowing what comes next.

As for the activity time, a baby her age should be awake approximately 1.5 hours (this includes from the minute she wakes up to the minute she goes to sleep).  So when she wakes up feed her, let her play for about 20-30 more minutes (or until she starts to show tired signs such as yawning or grumpiness).  The wind down routine should be roughly 20 min.

There are tons of moms from Australia on this site, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the book.  Check to see if a local library has it or you can even order it through this site.   :)

Offline zofia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 07:37:49 am »
thanks for your help now that i doing EASY right things have been heaps better we are now sleeping at night 11 hrs straight and through day time we have 3 to 4 45min sleeps.  thanks very much fir your help.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 07:50:49 am »
Your in Sydney aren't you? If I remember correctly Liverpool area, you should contact your early child hood nurse, I know your area has a great sleep & settling program that a friend of mine (lives in Prestons) went to.

Re getting the book, I have seen it in Myer & also Dymocks so it should be around & all book shops will order books in if you want them.
Also you could ask your library, they often will get books for loan if people ask after them.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05