Author Topic: Why Give Breastmilk In Between Solids as a "Snack"  (Read 1150 times)

Offline txavery

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Why Give Breastmilk In Between Solids as a "Snack"
« on: September 25, 2005, 16:44:43 pm »
Hi all - Confused about something.

Why does Tracy recommend giving breastmilk in between solid meals?  Up until that point she is opposed to "snacking", which I totally agree with, but suddenly at this point it is encouraged. Also is it more important to give solids first thing in the morning (7 AM) or the last feeding (7 PM)?

Here is my current schedule for my 6.5 mo DD.

7:00 BM

11:00 BM and Cereal/Veggie

3:00 BM and Veggies

7:00 BM and Cereal/Veggie

10:30 Dreamfeed (preparing to drop over the next few weeks, but nervous!)

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 18:21:24 pm »
Hi! I am not sure about the last part of your question but my MIL is a health visitor and she has recommended BF between solid meals as a drink rather than a snack instead of giving water. Here is my DS routine :

8.00 - BM/cereal
12.00 - BM/veggies & yoghurt
15.00 - BM
17.30 - BM/ veggies
20.30 - BM

His BF between his meals are only short about 10mins long as apposed to 15/20mins when he is hungry.  Hope this helps a little bit!
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 20:30:46 pm »
In my humble opinion, babies should get most of their calories and nutrition from breastmilk until 8-9 months old. Then they should slowly transition to taking more solids, as "meals" and the breastmilk becomes "additional" nutrition - for lack of a better word. Breastmilk is great nutrition even after a year old! Kids need frequent smaller meals, too. My pediatrician suggests 3 meals and 2-3 "snacks" per day for toddlers 9-24 months. Work towards that, and breastfeeds can be a meal or a snack.  :wink:

At 6 months, my babies were only eating one "solids" per day, usually around noon because that is when I had time to sit down and feed them. Around 9 months, they started eating 3 meals per day with 4 breastfeeds in between. HTH
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies