Author Topic: Has the introduction of solids effected my son?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Little Bear's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Daniel's birthday is 11 April 2005
Has the introduction of solids effected my son?
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:39:26 am »
Hi, I just started (for the 3rd attempt) at solids 3 days ago. The first day went well, tried a little bit, no change in him. But yesterday and today he seems to be taking 40min naps again. Usually the 2nd nap is about 1 -1.5 h. I'm feeding him within the hour before going down for this nap.

Could the introduction of solids be upsetting his tummy/digestive system enough to wake him? Is this just a normal settling into solids thing, or could it be the vegetable? It's pumpkin. We tried B/rice and apple and he didn't like either, so it was suggested I try pumpkin.
Hayley
Ohakea, New Zealand

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 13:28:56 pm »
Hi! I started weaning my DS a few weeks ago and for the first week he kept waking with tummy ache both at nap time and in the night. He is a lot better now although still has the odd day when his tummy is gripey, usually when we try a new food. I have taken this as part of the process of weaning and have never worried about it. As they have never digested more than milk new foods, however runny, are bound to be more difficulty for thier little tummies to cope with. I usually give my DS some gripe water(dont know if you get that where your from) I also massage his tummy by placing the palm of my hand just above his pubic bone and rotating my palm round the outline of his tummy. This is a method I was taught at baby massage it seems to work but only when DS is in the right mood for it.
Hope this helps!

Naomi
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline ChasMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 15:44:20 pm »
Hi Hayley,
I just started my 6 month old on solids about a week ago, rice cereal and just added carrots yesterday and I've also noted he's not sleeping as well at night.  He's never been a good napper (still working on that :( ) so that hasn't changed but at night he used to go down at 7:30pm and not wake until about 3-4am for a feeding.  Since starting solids, some nights he'll wake up crying way before his first feeding time.  Sometimes we can get him back with some patting other times I've had to nurse him.  It hasn't happened every night but his night schedule is definitely a little off and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with starting solids. 
I've been giving him the solids early in the day to watch for reactions and he seems fine during the day so I'm not sure if it would affect him at night.
I'm hoping someone else might know more about this.
Pat