Author Topic: Sleeping in Cot  (Read 976 times)

Alison Bell

Sleeping in Cot
« on: September 28, 2005, 12:51:03 pm »
Please help.  My son is 1 and will not sleep in his cot on his own.

He screams if I try to put him in his cot after his bedtime bottle.  I have tried to leave him and do the control crying but he is sick and I end up having to get him cleaned up and give him a cuddle to get to sleep.

I have to get him to go to sleep on my bed with me beside him and then put him in his cot when he is sleeping - he will sleep unitl 1am then then wake up and not stop crying until he gets into my bed.  I would let him cry it out but he will eventually make himself sick.

Now he is starting to get a bit older he points at the room next door as he wants to go in there!

Can anyone give me some advice?

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
Sleeping in Cot
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 13:04:08 pm »
Hi

i don't have Tracy's newest book (solving problems one), but there I am sure Tracy will have written detailed 'instructions' on her method called pick up put down for helping children to sleep independently.  Tracy did not believe in letting children cry it out as it breaks that balance of trust between child and parent.

I remember one part of one of her programmes where the child was settled to sleep in the parent's bed and moved while asleep. (this child i think was also a bit older like your son)  Of course when the child  woke up they were in a different place and bewildered as to why they were there.  Imagine falling asleep in bed and then waking in the middle of the night in the garden!?

Please can I direct you to the pick up put down board (also on the sleep forums) for more ideas on how to help with Tracy's methods.

Sorry I can't give any practical ideas, but the ladies here are AWESOME!

Alex