Author Topic: How/how often do you clean toys?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline kate585

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
How/how often do you clean toys?
« on: September 29, 2005, 14:55:47 pm »
My ds, Ryan, is about 6 1/2 months old and is just starting to sit up.  He puts EVERYTHING in his mouth and although he hasn't been sick yet (knock wood), I know things should be cleaned frequently.  (I have cleaned his toys before...haven't waited 6 months to clean, I swear).

I have a friend who cleans her daughter's plastic toys in bleach water every night. 
 :?:   Am I supposed to be doing that?  If not every night, how often?
 :?:   Could I use those Clorox bleach wipe things instead? 
 :?:   How about stuffed animals?

TIA!
Kate,

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 15:29:39 pm »
To tell you the truth I haven't quite had a cleaning ritual.

If a toy is dirty I wash it under water with some soap or put in a dishwasher. I'd dust them once in a while when dusting the house. 

Once we had a big playdate, 12 babies. I put out only certain toys, that I wiped with antibacterial wipes when they left.

Adrian was sick only once before starting the daycare at 11 months. They need to be exposed to some germs, otherwise you are risking allegies. Germs that are on the toys are theirs or in the house that they are already exposed to anyway. Just my 2c.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 15:37:47 pm »
Hi,

I believe that washing toys everyday especially in bleach water is overdoing it. Your child needs to be exposed to some germs - that I understand is partly how they build up their immunity. There is also going to come a time when they go to nursery or school when you can't clean everything they touch - I know they are older then so their immunity is better anyway - but if all of a sudden they are exposed to germs and dirt and they haven't been before I reckon they will be more susceptible to illness.

That's just my opinion.

I just keep an eye on my dd's toys and anything that looks like it needs a clean I will do it - otherwise I just do it on an ad hoc and when I have time basis. As for stuffed/cloth toys a lot say sponge wash only but I have put a few in the wash on a gentle cycle as I felt that was the only way to get them properly clean and they came out fine.

HTH
Sam's Mum

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:19:35 am »
Thanks, ladies!  That's the answer I was hoping for!   :D
Kate,

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:41:48 am »
Never!  :lol:  :roll:  :wink:

OK, if they get yucky because ds was eating a cookie (yes in the playroom!) and then rubbed the cookie on the toy. I absolutely would NEVER EVER clean my childs toys that they put in their mouth in bleach water. Yuck! Double yuck!  :shock: 

If it's stuffed it may get a once-a-month washing in the washing machine and hung out to dry in the sun.

NO BLEACH! And I don't use those clorox wipes on the high chair tray either, unless my MIL is coming to visit, and then maybe I'll use a wipe, and then I rinse it ten times with water so ds doesn't get bleach in his mouth.

And I'm a self-admitted-germ-a-phobe.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  See the post in the lounge!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 02:01:59 am »
Quote from: GraceKellysmom

Ditto!!! (except for bath toys.....3x since john was born)  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 23:05:16 pm »
Also there's a spray made by pampers that is specifically for cleaning toys.  I would not use bleach, because you do not want your baby eating bleach.  Any toys that you can put in the dishwasher, I would do that once a week.  My dd is getting over a bad bout of diarrhea, so I'm in super cleaning mode.  We dont' know how she got it, so we aren't taking any chances.

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 00:51:09 am »
Quote from: GraceKellysmom

OK, if they get yucky because ds was eating a cookie (yes in the playroom!) and then rubbed the cookie on the toy. I absolutely would NEVER EVER clean my childs toys that they put in their mouth in bleach water. Yuck! Double yuck!  :shock: 

If it's stuffed it may get a once-a-month washing in the washing machine and hung out to dry in the sun.

NO BLEACH! And I don't use those clorox wipes on the high chair tray either, unless my MIL is coming to visit, and then maybe I'll use a wipe, and then I rinse it ten times with water so ds doesn't get bleach in his mouth.

And I'm a self-admitted-germ-a-phobe.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  See the post in the lounge!

LOL Stacy, I AM laughing after your post in the lounge!  :wink:

Ditto on the never.  I'd also never use bleach on kids toys (in fact no where in our house), if anything a hot detergent wash would be sufficient.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 20:33:11 pm »
You can throw anything stuffed or cloth in a pillowcase on the gentle cycle and it works well.  That being said, I only wash them if they fall somewhere disgusting (as in the day I had to get my driver's license renewed and Katie dropped her toy on the floor.  Ewwww.).  Katie sticks everything in her mouth these days anyway and she has yet to be sick, even with my lax cleaning habits on her toys :D

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
-Erin