Author Topic: Could this be lactose intolerance?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Tannis

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Could this be lactose intolerance?
« on: October 01, 2005, 17:50:28 pm »
Hi there, I'm wondering if my lo could have lactose intolerance. He's been fighting sleep for so long I thought it was just a sleep issue, but he's getting worse, crying out in his sleep and it's like he's in pain. He's always been a tooter, he's had some diarhea, and lately he's had a rash on his legs that one Dr. said looked like excema and another a fungal thing or maybe psoriasis?? Then last night some bumps on his chest that he's had for weeks went beet red when I put lotion on him. Obviously the lotion made the rash worse, but what was it to begin with? Took him to the doc and this 3rd doc said it looked like excema on his chest, but not on his legs. He is formula fed and I'm starting to wonder if I should try a lactose free formula as maybe this will all tie in.
He's 6 months old and used to be so happy go lucky until he became exclusively formula fed. He is also starting solids, but I don't find any worse symptoms relating to food. Also, he seems ok when he's awake. Not as happy as used to be, but ok. Then sleep time seems in pain. Could it be that when he's lying still trying to sleep the pain is worse and when he's awake he's preoccupied?
Any ideas??

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 18:45:29 pm »
Well, I doubt it. Lactose is the sugar in milk, and usually only adults are "lactose intolerant". Lactose-free formula is more a marketing thing than anything, imho.

He could possibly be allergic or intolerant to the milk itself (usually the proteins in the milk). Check something - the ingredients in the lotion. Does it have milk in it? Skin problems like this can indicate being allergic to milk. These are the first signs, and if an allergy gets worse (and isn't treated) he could develop breathing problems and hives.

Regardless, I would try a milk-free formula for a couple weeks, like a soy formula. (Although some babies are allergic to soy too, and in that case there are hydrolised formulas or goats formula) See if he improves. Make sure he doesn't get any solids with milk in them, some cereals have milk and some veggies have cheese/butter.

With very sensitive skin, are you able to get a fragerance-free bath wash/shampoo/lotion?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 01:50:39 am »
Tannis, I am wondering the exact same thing!  My DD started having conspitation about a month and a half ago.  Then, all of a sudden last Sunday it went to severe diarrhea.  We took her to the doctor the next day, and he said it was a stomach bug and it would go away on it's own.  I mentioned to him that she also seems to have redness and dry skin behind both her knees.  He said it was eczema, and to use a lotion on her.  So fast forward to Thursday, diarrhea still bad and the eczema spreading.  Took her back to the doctor, and this time we saw a different doc.  She said that the stomach bug may have triggered a milk allergy, and to be on the safe side to try her on soy formula till the diarrhea went away.  The first night, she had her first solid (well pasty) poop.  Then next day was better, and today she's only pooped once and it looked normal.  So, I think the soy milk is helping.  But, now she seems to be reacting to the lotion we are using on her legs, or maybe it is something else.  She also has bumps that started on her legs, and have spread to her arms and neck area.  They are not red, just bumps.  So, off we go tomorrow to the dermatologist.  Luckily, I used to work for him so he's going to fit us in and hopefully give us an idea if this is an allergy, or skin condition.  I will post and let you know how that goes FYI.  But I would switch to a soy formula if I were you and see how that goes.  Or before doing that, go to a dermatologist for their opinion.

Offline Tannis

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 16:08:41 pm »
Yes, please let me know what the derm. says. My Dr. is trying to get us into one. How was your dd at sleep time... did it seem like she was in pain?
I actually started him yesterday on soy formula to see what happens. If there is no improvement in a week, I think I'll switch him back. I thought it would't hurt to try it and see. He still woke up 3 times last night, but was much easier to put to sleep this time. I wonder how long it would take to notice a difference if the soy is helping?
What kind of lotion did you put on that seemed to cause a reaction? I thought he just had dry skin on his chest and put Aveeno baby lotion on it and the bumps turned flaming red... they looked so scary that we took him in, but the doc said it was just a reaction to the lotion and not to use it. My friend who has a baby with excema said her Dr. suggested nothing but pure vaseline.
Let me know how it's going!
Tannis

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 19:01:29 pm »
I've had problems with Aveeno lotions and face washes, myself. So I don't use them on the kids.  :?  We use Aquaphor on almost everything body-wise, and for diaper rash Burts Bees clears them up in less than 24 hrs.

Good luck on your soy trial.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Tannis

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 19:55:11 pm »
Hmm, I've never heard of Aquaphor. I've seen the burt's bee's but not tried it. I like Sudacream for diaper rashes. Funny about Aveeno, the Dr. asked me what kind of lotion I'd put on his chest and when I told her she said "oh my, that's what I was going to recommend."

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 22:07:01 pm »
Well, the doctor said she was fine.  Just has really sensitive skin.  Always wash her clothes in a hypoallergenic detergent.  Even Dreft is gentle but not hypoallergenic.  He said that we can use Aquaphor or Eucerine for the dry skin and bumps.  We've been using Eucerine, and her legs didn't seem to react to it.  I think my DH was being paranoid when he said that he thought she was allergic to it.  He also said, for eczema that appears itchy and inflamed we can use a little bit of hydrocortisone cream.  And for the diaper rash, we've been using something called A&D.  It is fabulous!  It healed her up in almost less than a day.  It has lanolin in it as well as provides a vasoline type barrier.  It is wonderful, and is OTC.  I highly recommend it, and so did the doctor.  I would stick with the soy for at least a week, unless he has a reaction to it sooner.  And as for my night last night, it sucked.  Can't figure out why she woke so often except we had visitors and she was overtired.  But she didn't seem at all uncomfortable.

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 00:50:04 am »
It will be interesting to see if Rachel's skin clears up while on soy formula. I can't tell you how many moms that have said their child's excema was caused by cows milk.

One other thing to look at - what are you bathing her in? Johnsons makes my kids break out - we use California Baby. It's fantastic!
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies