Author Topic: Getting disheartened  (Read 1194 times)

FrasersMum

Getting disheartened
« on: October 04, 2005, 06:37:37 am »
Hi Everyone,

I guess all I am after is a bit of support and guidance.  My 6 and a bit month old DS still wakes during the night for a feed.  Usually just once, although he's been sick on and off and that throws us around the twist each time.

He's just getting over illness now.  Day goes like this:

6 - 7am wake up and Breastfeed
8am solids (only takes a TINY bit - only been on for about 3 weeks and not very keen yet!)
8.45am nap - 1 - 1.5 hours
11am Breastfeed or EBM
12.00pm solids (again not much yet)
12.30pm nap - 1.5 hours
3pm Breastfeed or EBM
4pm (Sometimes) Catnap depending on earlier naps
6pm Bath
6.30pm Breastfeed
6.45pm(ish) Bed

No DF - he never would take one and they disrupted the whole night so we didn't continue.

He wakes - around 4.30am normally although last night 2am and 5.30am (YUK!)

I'm a full time working mum and I'm getting tired and despondent.  Plus I'm getting frustrated with him in the middle of the night which is not fair.  At our trip to the GP last week she suggested we start to get a bit "tough" with him to try and start getting him to sleep through.  I can count the number of times he has slept through on one hand.

I'm sorry this is so long and thanks for taking the time to read.  I guess I'm just after a bit of support and help from others who have been there/are there.  I can't really expect that he won't feed at night until solids are properly established - right?  Or wrong?

How much longer and has anyone's LO just eliminated the nights themselves?  I've tried to hold out the feeds occassionally (like last night at the 2am wake up) but when he was still screaming one and a half hours later DH and I are both at the end of our ropes.

THANKS EVERYONE!
Jo

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Getting disheartened
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:33:36 am »
Sorry to give you the bad news but at 6mo going from 6.30 to 4.30am is actually great.
The 2am/5.30 may be the start of a 6month growth spurt. So he may start taking more solids, I would start offering a 3rd solid meal in there & that may help things along, but in all honesty, I had to give Aiden his last feed at 8pm, to get him to last through until 6/6.30am until he was about 10 months old!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

FrasersMum

Getting disheartened
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 10:37:26 am »
Thanks Kate - its not really bad news it's more that I needed the reality check.  I'm fine with him waking up but everyone else "seems" to have babies that sleep through and others (like the GP) are encouraging me to try and force the issue. 

I am more than prepared to get up to him for a couple of months yet but it was just starting to feel like I was the only one.

Thanks for giving it to me straight (from the only women I should listen to, my fellow BWers!)

Thanks!