Author Topic: 19 months and totally has regressed  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Heather Kelly

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
19 months and totally has regressed
« on: October 04, 2005, 17:07:37 pm »
My daughter is 19 months old and has developed (with my help) terrible sleeping habits.  Since the beginning of summer, she has been waking around 3am and staying awake for approx. 1 hour.  Her diaper is not soaking through, she is not hungry, she doesn't want to play, she is just awake.  She has been teething, has learned how to walk, mommy & daddy went away without her for 4 days (she was very spolied by granny and granddad) and we have had to move her out of the crib (she is VERY tall for her age and she could tumble out of the crib,) within the past 4 months, which are major milestones.  Before this, she would sleep from about 8:30 - 7am.  Now, it's about 8pm - 3am, them 4-4:30am - 9am.  I have gone in and checked on her, kept her in the crib, whispered, sang, patted and then finally when nothing else seems to get her to sleep, here's the bad part, we crawl into bed together where after more singing, patting, holding, we both fall asleep exhausted. Now this is still happening and I am at my wit's end and the tears (mine) won't stop.  She has two props - me and a pacifer.  I know that this is affecting her behavior at school (she is grabbing at the other kids, throwing tantrums etc.) and its making my baby miserable.  She is definitely not her happy little self.   She naps for approx. 1 & 1/2 min., a day. I have read Tracy's book (The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems) and its great and follows my parenting ethics.  Here's the but: I honestly do not know where to begin.  Any suugestions would be helpful.   Thank you!
~Heather

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
19 months and totally has regressed
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 06:11:14 am »
Firstly Heather, you are actually rewarding her for waking up by singing etc.
So you need to just go in tell her it is time for sleep (or s simular line) & as she is in a bed, leave & wait for her to get out & take her back in & tell her it is time for sleep & keep repeating & keep repeating, until she stays & falls asleep. Like PU/PD... but really put back!
We had to do it with our ds now he is in a bed as he has started wanting to get up at 5am took over a week
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05