Author Topic: Can anyone help with unpredictable night wakings, please...?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Reidun

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Can anyone help with unpredictable night wakings, please...?
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:20:32 am »
Hi - My LO is 4.5 months old and wakes at different times through the night, every night  :shock:   She's pretty much settled into a 4 hour routine during the day and has started her first try at baby rice this week.  She's taking between 6-8oz formula at each feed.  Her routine is:

7.30am - Wake up and gurgle in cot (sleeps in nursery)
8am - Feed
8.30am - Play
9am - Nap (2-3 hours)
12pm - Feed
12.30pm - Play
1pm - Nap (for 2 hours)
4pm - Feed
4.30pm - Play
5.30pm - Nap (for 1 hour)
7pm - Feed, Bath & Bedtime
11pm - Dream Feed

After this, the routine is out the window!  Last night she took 4oz at her DF (pushing the teat out of her mouth and turning her head) and woke again at 1am.  She was chewing her fingers and wouldn't settle with pat-shh or PU/PD so I fed her again - this time taking 6oz.  She woke again at 5am, again I couldn't get her to settle so fed her, but this time she only took 3oz and woke again at her usual time of 7.30am.  She always wakes at least twices in the night and always at varying times.  The only way she'll settles again is by feeding.  She's an angel going back down again (both day and night) and although always awake when she goes back into her cot, she drops off within a couple of minutes.

Her activity times are only 1-1.5 hours and I've tried to extend them, even with gentle play or just wandering round the house with her, but she just gets cranky. 

I can't remember what a good nights sleep feels like....can anyone make any suggestions/see where I'm going wrong?!

Offline mechadwick

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:59:12 pm »
I was given advice from my health visitor. When you put her down to sleep, wake her a little. I found I was despirate to feed sam enough, I was feeding him whilst he was falling asleep and putting him into his cot virtually asleep. I turned on his mobile for one or two notes, which made him wake up for a second then go back to sleep.  This was amazing as it had an instantanious effect, and though he still woke up early in the morning, the middle of the night wakenings disappeared.  Good luck!

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 14:14:10 pm »
The first thought I had was that your lo is sleeping alot during the day (6 hours seems a lot for 4.5 months)  I know that extending awake time is hard....could you try doing it in 15 minute increments?